Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

I think you might be mistaking an online forum for an educational establishment.

Here it's pedantry to correct every typo, missed apostrophe or lack of punctuation. In a school it's exactly what is needed in order to actually teach. Obviously the level of correction will vary, I doubt that a teacher would get far in explaining the use of the apostrophe to a five year old, and if a document was filled with errors then more might be gained by only pointing out the most glaring. But to not correct at all is to fail to educate.

Maybe the reason teachers no longer correct spelling and grammar is because they don't know how. We've had more than 40 years of so called "progressive" education so many of today's teachers grew up not having their self esteem damaged and not learning how to read and write.

Imagine receiving a CV littered with spelling mistakes, it might make all the difference to securing a job.

I wouldn't give a job to anyone who can't spell. To me it shows that they can't be bothered to learn their own language properly so they aren't likely to learn to do a job properly.

Maybe the reason teachers no longer correct spelling and grammar is because they don't know how. We've had more than 40 years of so called "progressive" education so many of today's teachers grew up not having their self esteem damaged and not learning how to read and write.

That can't be true, I'm less than 40 and my spelling and grammar were corrected at school. I remember taking home spelling slips and having to practice them, no phonetic nonsense.

I wouldn't give a job to anyone who can't spell. To me it shows that they can't be bothered to learn their own language properly so they aren't likely to learn to do a job properly.

Nor would I. Eventually, illiterate non-dyslexics might realise why they're unemployed.

Maybe the reason teachers no longer correct spelling and grammar is because they don't know how. .........

That can't be true, .........

I'm not sure if you are crossing wires, but I can point you to several teachers whose spelling is a disgrace.

Unless you're applying for a job as a teacher, in which case spelling mistakes will be expected.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: That's particularly true if you want to teach English and if you want to be able to read the essays presented to you in txt spk. Innit.

I reely disaproove of peeple that cant speel.....thay must me reely thick and of no consequence to the human race and therefore be the butt of other people's judgement and disapproval.

Oh, hang on, that's just SF.

If someone is trying to post their point of view, and you can understand their post and opinion, please don't correct it. It's both patronising, and extremely bad manners! :rant:

Sorry....rant over!

Archived