Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

I dont see why not.

"A great deal more to do"?! sure teachers have lots to do but teaching children to spell correctly should be a high priority surely.

In a Maths lesson?There is more to school than Englsh.

In a Maths lesson?There is more to school than Englsh.

And in a maths lesson would you expect to do a lot of writing in natural English? Or would you mainly expect to be writing down numbers and equations?

And in a maths lesson would you expect to do a lot of writing in natural English? Or would you mainly expect to be writing down numbers and equations?

Most Maths today is problem solving and a written scenario is employed-I bet it has changed a bit since your school leaving cert.

You'd use three words instead of two then, and still apparently missed the point that this isn't a school or college or university but is a forum.

Well I would try to avoid sounding less like Andy Gove and more like Andy Capp

My two A levels in maths you mean?

Nice one-did you do the Fuhrer Maths course and then a degree?I did A Level in single Maths,but I prefer to study something which is related to people.The school cert was a great exam;my nanan keeps telling me she had to learn things by rote to gain a pass.

If that were true then children that play truant a lot would end up better educated than those who attend, but it doesn't seem to be the case...

Well I assure you what I have written is true, but you seem to be drawing a conclusion from my post that may not be true. Home education is not equivalent to truancy, I did not teach my children but I gave them every opportunity to learn.

Surely the teaching of correct spelling and punctuation promotes a more rigorous and self-disciplined approach in children who are at an age when their brains are like sponges , soaking everything up . Maybe it's less about correct spelling and punctuation per se , but more about introducing and teaching a form of self-discipline which may then be carried on through other aspects of that person's life .

If teachers send out the message that correct spelling doesn't matter , then what else

" doesn't matter " ? As regards the erosion of self-esteem , maybe bullying at school should be more of a focus for teachers . I've heard some horrendous stories recently from friends and colleagues whose teenage daughters have been the subject of bullying at school and suffer terrible self-esteem issues .

Well I assure you what I have written is true, but you seem to be drawing a conclusion from my post that may not be true. Home education is not equivalent to truancy, I did not teach my children but I gave them every opportunity to learn.

.................and I for one so admire you for having the conviction to do that.

Archived