Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

Nice one-did you do the Fuhrer Maths course and then a degree?I did A Level in single Maths,but I prefer to study something which is related to people.The school cert was a great exam;my nanan keeps telling me she had to learn things by rote to gain a pass.

Pure and Applied and Further, and the S level paper, which I'm not sure exists now.

And of course my other two A levels and the S level in physics.

Then a degree which was only vaguely maths related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholarship_Level

The S level ceased to exist in 2001, and although I was good enough to sit them, I wasn't good enough to get a mark in them :(

Well I assure you what I have written is true, but you seem to be drawing a conclusion from my post that may not be true. Home education is not equivalent to truancy, I did not teach my children but I gave them every opportunity to learn.

I believe schools inhibit learning

I don't think I drew any conclusions except what you stated. If schools inhibited learning then children who were not there would be learning more effectively.

Maybe what you really mean is that there are better environments for learning than schools.

What's a Fuhrer Maths course? Is it when the BNP counts how few votes it gets these days?

It is one where an Austrian supply teacher barges in ,takes over the lesson and sends the best students to stand in the corridor.

Surely the teaching of correct spelling and punctuation promotes a more rigorous and self-disciplined approach in children who are at an age when their brains are like sponges , soaking everything up . Maybe it's less about correct spelling and punctuation per se , but more about introducing and teaching a form of self-discipline which may then be carried on through other aspects of that person's life .

If teachers send out the message that correct spelling doesn't matter , then what else

" doesn't matter " ? As regards the erosion of self-esteem , maybe bullying at school should be more of a focus for teachers . I've heard some horrendous stories recently from friends and colleagues whose teenage daughters have been the subject of bullying at school and suffer terrible self-esteem issues .

That was because they were poor at spelling and the teacher made it an issue.:hihi:

I'm glad some schools teach spelling. Encouraging children to read helps them recognise words and how to spell them. My 5 year old granddaughter goes to a small, rurual CofE school that is fairly traditional, and she takes part in spelling tests.

If the children do well they get a coloured marble that goes into their team's jar. They can win marbles for all sorts of things, tidying up, being kind to another child or children, so even the less academic children can contribute to their team's success. Every so often the marbles are counted and the winning team gets some small treat. The ethos there is about valuing each child and helping them value each other.

Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes to avoid 'damaging pupils' self esteem'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142547/Schools-deliberately-failing-correct-spelling-mistakes-avoid-damaging-pupils-self-esteem.html#ixzz1uXb15WCr

If it’s good enough for schools it must be good enough for SF, can the spelling police please find another job.:D

I think it`s disgraceful, you want to see some of the E Mails we get, they take half an hour to decipher ! No commas, no capitals, no apostrophes, how they passed any exams I do not know. Even some of the job applications we get are an absolute joke, and, one assumes, the applicants are actually trying on those !

I think it`s disgraceful, you want to see some of the E Mails we get, they take half an hour to decipher ! No commas, no capitals, no apostrophes, how they passed any exams I do not know. Even some of the job applications we get are an absolute joke, and, one assumes, the applicants are actually trying on those !

I forgot to mention, though it`s probably obvious, the spelling is often an absolute joke. These people who can`t be arsed to check their spelling and grammar should send some payment with all their letters and E Mails to pay for our time having to decipher their coded communications.......

Why is this news now - i did teaching practice in the early 90's,the only teachers encouraged to be responsible over spellings etc were English teachers.

Current English teachers at some schools are "encouraged" not to highlight more than 3 grammatical errors in school homework so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the pupils.

Archived