Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling mistakes.

I wouldn't give a job to anyone who can't spell. To me it shows that they can't be bothered to learn their own language properly so they aren't likely to learn to do a job properly.

Bah, I agree with Mad Jim! :help:

Maybe the reason teachers no longer correct spelling and grammar is because they don't know how. We've had more than 40 years of so called "progressive" education so many of today's teachers grew up not having their self esteem damaged and not learning how to read and write.

[Phew; normal service resumed.]

Nonsense.

That is all.

prac·tice/ˈpraktəs/

Noun: The actual application or use of an idea, belief, or method as opposed to theories about such application or use.

Verb: Perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.

http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammartips/grammar-tip-practise-practice.asp

Hiya Cyclone. That text doesn't appear in your link. Your link states that "practise" is correct.

Actually, Jeffrey, according to Collins dictionary it can be either spelling and mean the same. :hihi::hihi:

Which Collins Dictionary is that then? The online one I looked at seems to be correct in distinguishing "practice" the noun from "practise" the verb.

Do you have a link for us?

I was born and reached teenage before TV became universally available. Apart from radio, the only source of entertainment or information was the book or newspaper. This created a much better ability to read and write than today. Inability to spell correctly was at that time equal to being thought stupid, and a barrier to finding a good job. Spelling checks work to a point, but do not detect homophones.

Hiya Cyclone. That text doesn't appear in your link. Your link states that "practise" is correct.

The link was separate to the definition, it added more information and explained how the problem occurred and why it is now common usage to use practice when previously practise would have been correct (Americanisation basically).

Definition for illiteracy:

Web definitions:

ignorance resulting from not reading.

Not if this definition is correct.

You do realise that language is a fluid thing, right? In this case I'd say I made a mistake, but it's not a clear cut example.

Why is this news now - i did teaching practice in the early 90's,the only teachers encouraged to be responsible over spellings etc were English teachers.

Current English teachers at some schools are "encouraged" not to highlight more than 3 grammatical errors in school homework so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the pupils.

In the main its that daft element of the Labour party that are behind it; its not just in Britain, the Labour parties, or their equivalents, are doing it in all western countries on behalf of the Kremlin and Beijing, and perhaps Saudi Arabia, to dumb the west down to take us all over. :suspect: Or am I being too paranoid?

Archived