The Yawning Man!

Back in the 60s I used to visit Wincobank and Atterclife daily due to my job,sometimes in these areas I would see a strange looking character he was tall and always had a long oversize overcoat on.He wore an old fashioned cloth cap and he was always in wellingtons,his face was always dirty,on the end of a long length of rope he had a small dog.But the thing that made you notice him was that his mouth was locked wide open as though he was yawning it may have been lockjaw,I used to think "poor Bugger" I used to see him quite a lot I wonder did anyone on the forum ever see him or know him or know what became of him?.:confused::help:

Back in the 60s I used to visit Wincobank and Atterclife daily due to my job,sometimes in these areas I would see a strange looking character he was tall and always had a long oversize overcoat on.He wore an old fashioned cloth cap and he was always in wellingtons,his face was always dirty,on the end of a long length of rope he had a small dog.But the thing that made you notice him was that his mouth was locked wide open as though he was yawning it may have been lockjaw,I used to think "poor Bugger" I used to see him quite a lot I wonder did anyone on the forum ever see him or know him or know what became of him?.:confused::help:

This one,

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=155763&highlight=characters+of+sheffield

Yes thats him Retep it seems he was quite well known he certainly was well liked by the people who knew him,another funny character I knew was Whitey is he still breathing?:roll::hihi::hihi:

He's still patrolling the gun pits, i've told him the war is over but he won't have it.

yes old tup i remember yawner has we called him,think he worked delivering coal As a ex attercliffer we saw him regular walking over the bridge on stanithorth rd He had a disablity and was told the tecnical name of it but forgot it after all this time.He was about 6ft 4in columbo coat with string to fasen it bold head somtimes wore a flat cap and had wellingtons on taking dog for a walk

Archived