M.O.D.-Not very bright

Philip Hammond, our Defence Secretary has announced that Jump Jets will now be used on our new Carriers, as it it too expensive to modify them to take normal jets. We are to purchase these F-35B jets from America. Sources say the cost of this U turn is £250 m (although the government says its a mere £40-50 million). Didn't we sell our Harriers to the Yanks for a knock down price not so long ago?. What a ****-up-can't we sack these idiots at the MOD?.

Philip Hammond, our Defence Secretary has announced that Jump Jets will now be used on our new Carriers, as it it too expensive to modify them to take normal jets. We are to purchase these F-35B jets from America. Sources say the cost of this U turn is £250 m (although the government says its a mere £40-50 million). Didn't we sell our Harriers to the Yanks for a knock down price not so long ago?. What a ****-up-can't we sack these idiots at the MOD?.

It’s a different aircraft to the Harrier, better equipped and much faster.

Unfortunately there's no point - the idiots are in the thrall of BAE and BAE would just replace them with some new ones.

I'm more interested in finding out why the price of the alternative craft - that we opted for because it was cheaper - mushroomed to end up being twice as expensive. That smells distinctly fishy to me, but people seem more interested in yelling at the government than in looking into what happened.

I'm more interested in finding out why the price of the alternative craft - that we opted for because it was cheaper - mushroomed to end up being twice as expensive. That smells distinctly fishy to me, but people seem more interested in yelling at the government than in looking into what happened.

If I remember correctly the extra costs are associated with changing the aircraft carriers from Short Take Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) to Catapult Assisted Take Off Barrier Arrested Recovery (CATOBAR).

I believe that the mistake was made in choosing the the STOVL configuration in the first place because to achieve STOVL the F-35 has had to make a series of compromises in range and weapons load as well as probably needing more maintenance due to the complicated mechanisms of STOVL, compared to the CATOBAR version.

spot on.......

Archived