How on earth do some women (stunners) remain single all their lives?

Something that I have noticed is how some men marry rather plain women yet continually chase real stunners. I think that this may be another issue that really gorgeous women have to contend with. A lot of men would be too wary to shack up with someone drop dead gorgeous as they're concerned that she would have more opportunities to stray. So they marry someone who is unlikely to get many propositions and will, therefore, remain faithful, whilst they themselves lust after and pursue really good looking women. Text book stuff.

I don't believe such a phenomenon is gender specific, suffley.

Something that I have noticed is how some men marry rather plain women yet continually chase real stunners. I think that this may be another issue that really gorgeous women have to contend with. A lot of men would be too wary to shack up with someone drop dead gorgeous as they're concerned that she would have more opportunities to stray. So they marry someone who is unlikely to get many propositions and will, therefore, remain faithful, whilst they themselves lust after and pursue really good looking women. Text book stuff.

spot on Suffy :)

Are you talking about men or women shaznay (or both)?

both boyfriday

I don't believe such a phenomenon is gender specific, suffley.

Perhaps not, but I am basing this on my own observations of the male species over the years! This is one of the reasons, in my view, to the bafflement of others, some stunning women remain single, despite not wanting to be thus. They often end up being pursued by attached men who are looking for conquests and wish to bed a stunner!

Perhaps not, but I am basing this on my own observations of the male species over the years! This is one of the reasons, in my view, to the bafflement of others, some stunning women remain single, despite not wanting to be thus. They often end up being pursued by attached men who are looking for conquests and wish to bed a stunner!

..and in my (albeit) limited experience, many attractive, educated, independent women are quite happy with weekend type relationships-they meet their boyfriends for dinner and sex on Friday, cinema on Saturday, a nice country walk on Sunday, oh and a shag before they head back home to their real lives and their challenging careers on Monday. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but most wouldn't admit to being so shallow or commitmentphobic.

..and in my (albeit) limited experience, many attractive, educated, independent women are quite happy with weekend type relationships-they meet their boyfriends for dinner and sex on Friday, cinema on Saturday, a nice country walk on Sunday, oh and a shag before they head back home to their real lives and their challenging careers on Monday. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but most wouldn't admit to being so shallow or commitmentphobic.

But they're not single as per the ones referred to in the OP, which is different. Given that more relationships these days are conducted at a geographical distance, the above scenario would be the ideal set up for most. Would you say that such women are commitment-phobic or shallow? I wouldn't necessarily. Perhaps they just value their independence and hate all that domestic humdrum nonsense?

But they're not single as per the ones referred to in the OP, which is different. Given that more relationships these days are conducted at a geographical distance, the above scenario would be the ideal set up for most. Would you say that such women are commitment-phobic or shallow? I wouldn't necessarily. Perhaps they just value their independence and hate all that domestic humdrum nonsense?

Apologises it was a crass generalisation..many (not all) that Ive encountered have been 'shallow, commitmentphobic' or just couldnt match my jaunty stride!

Seriously though I dont know why theres any surprise-women have gone to the same school and universities as men, are regarded equally in the workplace and share the childcare with the father's of their children. They need a bloke for nowt more than a man needs them.

I think 40+ men have been slow to adopt to these changes and what real women dont want is a man who sounds like he's patronising them. I once made the mistake of telling a woman Id like to take her to dinner..after being told that my ability to feed her would have little bearing on whether she'd want to see me romantically, I offered to allow her to buy mine because it made a difference to me!

Apologises it was a crass generalisation..many (not all) that Ive encountered have been 'shallow, commitmentphobic' or just couldnt match my jaunty stride!

Seriously though I dont know why theres any surprise-women have gone to the same school and universities as men, are regarded equally in the workplace and share the childcare with the father's of their children. They need a bloke for nowt more than a man needs them.

I think 40+ men have been slow to adopt to these changes and what real women dont want is a man who sounds like he's patronising them. I once made the mistake of telling a woman Id like to take her to dinner..after being told that my ability to feed her would have little bearing on whether she'd want to see me romantically, I offered to allow her to buy mine because it made a difference to me!

One woman's commitmentphobia is another's prudence and caution! Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

Internet dating sounds fun, sadly it hadn't taken off when I was last single. It sounds preferable to the club/bar/pub pulling scene, which was hideous and yielded very little, if anything, worthy of relationship or even shag material.

One woman's commitmentphobia is another's prudence and caution! Marry in haste, repent at leisure.
Very true, but I'm not really referring to two minute relationships.

Internet dating sounds fun, sadly it hadn't taken off when I was last single. It sounds preferable to the club/bar/pub pulling scene, which was hideous and yielded very little, if anything, worthy of relationship or even shag material.

The model I'm referring to exists in the real world as well as the cyber space one, what's changed in the last 20/30 years is the independence of women as well as her routes to market.

Very true, but I'm not really referring to two minute relationships.

The model I'm referring to exists in the real world as well as the cyber space one, what's changed in the last 20/30 years is the independence of women as well as her routes to market.

I'll take your word for it! I don't know any women fitting this description. The vast majority of women I know are in relationships, some of whom have met their partners online. Those who aren't in relationships are either actively 'looking' for commitment, not bothered about being single or up front with men that they're just interested in a bit of fun and non-exclusivity. The internet has without doubt opened up a whole new range of opportunities to meet people outside of one's immediate social/work environment.

The fact that women have gained autonomy, financial independence and can have sex freely without having to be married first obviously all mean that we don't have the wed the first bloke who 'pops' the question and be eternally grateful that we're not at risk of ending up on that shelf.

That said, my experience has always been that there are far more single eligible women out there than there are men. A gay friend of mine would always respond thus to women bemoaning their single state 'the trouble with you women is that you have standards'!

That actually sounds like the perfect relationship to me

Archived