Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

desy

my stepdad bless his soul Fred Atherton Sadly passed six yesrs ago this month gave many years service to twist drill/ dormer tools also had many a good tale to tell.

I was in work study and studued Fred many times good bloke always ready for a laugh. Sorry to hear of his passing

I new a boy went to work there when he left school Peter Walker late 1950's.

I lived round the corner from Summerfield St on Fentonville St. until 1962

hiya the only one i knew who worked at twist drill summerfield street was the dad of a mate of mine at school and later his name was charlie gregory, he had three children charlie jnr, ron my pal, and rita, charlie was a keen motor cyclist he could strip a bike and re build it.this was 40s/50s

• 1 month later...

anyone remember big Kevin, worked in accounts late 80's. I heard he got fired for doing a firm's fanzine that went a bit close to the knuckle. Years later I met someone who worked at tinsley wire, reckoned he did same there .. what a character

• 2 months later...

I worked at twist drill from 1972 to 1989, I worked in the grinders round the corner from the roll forge the grinders were, DICK SHEPHERD, HAROLD DOUGHTY AND SOME OTHERS , Iv'e forgotten their names and I also new many on the roll forge as well.

• 7 months later...

Did You Work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Sheffield.

No I didn't, but my dad did. He was a semi skilled turner and I think he worked neets redler. He won the firms annual snooker knockout competition on a cuppla occasions, in the early 70's. He could cut a ball so fine they named him The Surgeon.

Most people have a bermuda triangle.

• 2 months later...

I worked there from 1978 - 1984 in accounts dept, my mother worked in the warehouse as did my sister, people I remember-:

Accounts Dept

Keith Quinn

Sandra

Mr Fox

Beryl in wages

June Bennett

Dorothy

Maureen

David White

Pauline

Gill Lomas in warehouse

Heather my sis

Brenda my mum

Best place to work, what memories

• 2 weeks later...

I worked there for 13 years from 1965. I remember people like Ray Parkin, Fiery Fred Drouin, Frank Bell, Dennis Stork, Mike Pennington, Roy South. and many more.

Sheffield Twist Drill had some good things about it, such as the Sports Club at Meadowhead. I learned a lot at Dormer since I started at age 15. But looking at it now it was a classic study of how NOT to run an engineering company. I remember them buying clapped out second hand lathes from Belgium and some auto lathes from Russia that never worked properly. Although I had some good times there it was definitely the right thing to get out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My dad worked at Sheffield twist drill all of his working life, he retired about 20 years he ago received a beautiful clock with ball barions around it, he worked there through all my school days at huntersbar school and high storrs secondary school, I remember the christmas parties every year they put on, I think they were done at what used to be the top rank, I remember the fruit and gifts after all the entertainment happy day maybe gone but never forgotten. My dad Neville died 2 days be is 87th birthday in 2009 I'm sure he had happy times there too. :-) his daughter linda