Which language is more beneficial to learn; French or German?

German, German, German...just don't mention the war

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I did French at school, terrible teacher had no language skills, she just concentrated on grammar 'out of a book'.

Conjugating the bloody verb..............I know what needed conjugating.......

Spanish would have been far more usefull................The use of the French language is limited, depending on where you go. English, German and Spanish will see you thru' anywhere.

French is useful if you are a wine snob...........

I work for the bloody French, 'nuff said.

the main thing is which language she wants to speak, herself.

If she's only ever learnt French and not German up to this point, then it's an impossible question to answer. How is she to know whether she would love learning German, or hate it?

Personally I prefer German; I don't think either language is all that "useful" in the modern world, which relies almost exclusively on American English and Mandarin Chinese.

German, as it is more closely related to English as a language than English it is to French, and our culture is closer to Germany. Also German is very useful as a business language.

Guten Tag - Good Day

Ein Glas Bier - A glass of beer

Die Sonne scheint - The sun is shining

Meine Mutter/Vater/Bruder/Schwester - My mother/father/brother/sister

zehn, zwanzig, hundert, tausend -ten, twenty, hundred, thousand

There are many more examples I remember from A level but that's off the top of my head!

au contraire. Never been to a cafe?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

29% French origin, 26% Germanic languages. Even argue that the other big chunk,29% Latin, was closer to French than German.

Ask a german to say butterfly- "schmetterling!" just not a nice language at all. Hard on the ears. Comes a close second to Klingon in "world's worst sounding language" category.

Also, you'll rarely meet a German that doesn't know English. So the language for business is cobblers.

Last successful invasion of Britain was by French speaking Normans.

3 lions standard- Richard I - French.

France is much closer geographically.

Spanish is also important ; you still need it in Latin America, and if you have Spanish, you're more than halfway to Portuguese and Brazil, Spanish and Portuguese are like French and Italian. Spanish is also easy to pick up. If I was suggesting somebody to learn a single European language, other than English, I would say Spanish would likely be the most useful.

au contraire. Never been to a cafe?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

29% French origin, 26% Germanic languages. Even argue that the other big chunk,29% Latin, was closer to French than German.

Ask a german to say butterfly- "schmetterling!" just not a nice language at all. Hard on the ears. Comes a close second to Klingon in "world's worst sounding language" category.

Also, you'll rarely meet a German that doesn't know English. So the language for business is cobblers.

Last successful invasion of Britain was by French speaking Normans.

3 lions standard- Richard I - French.

France is much closer geographically.

This is true! Germans speak English, whilst the french refuse to in france.

the thing about the French is, they just can't understand why the United States and Canada, South Africa, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc aren't speaking French today.

the whole point of the French revolution was that they were going to bring about, all just exactly that sort of thing.

in the event, it didn't turn out that way at all.

obviously they're disappointed. However, French is a beautiful language and sounds beautiful, though not as beautiful as Italian.

I've just found out that If she does the accelerated learning course in either language, she can gain a GSCE at 14 (which is 2 years earlier). Then has the choice to either do her A level in that language or do the other language and gain a GSCE in that at 16.

Best of both worlds.

When she's done both languages she can then choose which one she wants to do the A level in (if she hasn't already done it)

The answer is probably either. Both give you a better chance at picking up other languages. Don't stress about it now you learn so little at that level anyway. I did both and got by in switzerland with a mixture. I like german much more and in an example of my hideous racism I prefer the general german mentality and much prefer holidaying in germany.

Maybe choose based on the language spoken in places she wants to visit as whatever happens she will learn more by visiting the country and talking to people.

My daughter is learning German at school and loves it. The only trouble is she practises at home and as i know no German at all i cant tell if its right. I would agree that it is useful to learn a less common language as it may help with getting a job in the future.

Archived