Renault Clio Won't Start

Bit of a long shot, but here we go:

Let the missus have a go in the car earlier, and she stalled it (emergency stop while still in 2nd). We couldn't get it started again using the key, but managed to bump start it, and everything looked fine. About five minutes later, the ABS, brake system warning light, SERV and STOP lit up. We got home, and now the car won't start again.

I can turn the key into ON mode, and generally, everything works, more or less (the radio won't come on, horn won't work, wipers judder across the screen, hazard warning lights make all the dash lights disappear, as do indicators, headlights make display dim, and central locking isn't working. Oh, and the rev counter needle seems to vibrate?!).

After a second or two, most of the dash lights go out, but the ABS, Handbrake light, Power Steering light, battery light and SERV and STOP remain lit.

When I try to turn the ignition, I can hear the relay clicking, and the starter motor makes a noise, and then everything goes quiet.

I've looked around inside the engine compartment, checked all the fuses, and nothing seems to be out of place.

The question is: has she broken it? :hihi: nah. the question is, does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks!

I'm going to borrow a mate's battery charger, see if the battery's the problem - if not, then I'll give you a call! I've had a look around on the Renault & RAC forums, doesn't look like there is a fuel cut off switch, and the immobiliser light goes out, so I don't think it's that.

I think due to the dimming of the display, the battery's my best bet - just concerned about the warning lights that came on on the way home...

Bet there's a fuel cut off switch or such that's been activated. Fiats have one I hear. Check your owners manual. Or yeah pay someone else to come and do it for you. :)

I've never heard of a fuel cut-off switch causing this...

(the radio won't come on, horn won't work, wipers judder across the screen, hazard warning lights make all the dash lights disappear, as do indicators, headlights make display dim, and central locking isn't working. Oh, and the rev counter needle seems to vibrate?!).

However, (as long as the battery isn't flat - CHECK THAT FIRST!) there is a fuseboard behind the passenger side headlamp which can cause these problems as well as non-starting, due to water ingress. There are 3 small relays, take them out and see if they have white/green oxide on them. Spray some WD40 or similar oil on their contacts and refit. Try to start it again.

If there IS oxide present, it's possible that the insides of the fuseboard are cruddied up with crap too, which is a bad thing.

Another problem which can cause similar symptoms is the starter motor flange being rusty/crusty, causing a bad earth. In this case, remove and clean faces of starter motor/bellhousing, refit.

Right, looking at a Youtube video of the dash of a Clio II when starting, it would appear that the SERV light and the ABS light ought to go out, but don't on mine. I'm wondering if perhaps there are two problems here - the battery and an ABS failure? I suppose I'll have to wait and see...

• 5 months later...

Archived