Scratchcard that beggars belief

Nobody is forcing you to buy a scratchcard or any sort are they? I can honestly say that I have never bought one and I've never felt pressured to buy one, so what's the problem.

I have a pretty fundamental issue with gambling as a concept and think that a lot of bingo sites and poker sites are set up in a way that enables gambling addiction problems, but all you have to do to not be sucked in to the issues is to not visit the sites or start buying scratchcards in the first place.

For the record, I don't gamble at all, and that includes lottery tickets and raffle tickets as much as going in to a bookies or paying entry fees for a game of bingo.

Meh, I do the Lottery twice a week, sometimes 3 times if the Euromillions has a BIG jackpot, and I buy 1 scratch card a week, should I join gamblers anonymous? I think not :rolleyes:

The only time I ever had a scratch card was a couple of years ago when one of my friends put one in a birthday card for me. I scratched off 3 pictures of a horse shoe I think and won £20. I've never actually bought one, although MrC plays the Irish Lottery on Wednesday and Saturday £3 each day, and he has won 2 or 3 times, not huge amounts about £600 each time which is brilliant, we've used it for a treat for ourselves.

They should be made to stick to the Saturday and midweek lottery only, get rid of all other games.

Well when the lottery was first concieved and at recent operator's licence review there were 2 bidders for the licence, Camelot & Virgin.

Although BOTH times, in my and many other's opinions, the Virgin bid was better (capped jackpot, more smaller prizes & more to charity), Camelot got the bid both times.

I guess Camelot put more in the little brown envelopes given to the MP that reviewed the bids.

Well when the lottery was first concieved and at recent operator's licence review there were 2 bidders for the licence, Camelot & Virgin.

Although BOTH times, in my and many other's opinions, the Virgin bid was better (capped jackpot, more smaller prizes & more to charity), Camelot got the bid both times.

Intending to cap the jackpot might well have been the biggest factor in their bid not being chosen. Capping the jackpots heavily restricts how many tickets you might sell.

I don't think many people would think much of a new government policy to tax everyone in the country £1 each week and give the entire sum to one person to make him enormously rich; and yet, when it's an entirely voluntary scheme to do the same thing, tickets are sold by the million. It's all rather odd.

Archived