Alternative to eBay?

Amazon is gd, but it's not an auction site, iv sold things on there & I get what I ask for, u only pay for listing when it sells & it stays listed till you sell it or remove it, money goes straight in your bank account

• 2 weeks later...

I won't sell anything on Ebay, it's a complete minefield and a flippin' pain. All the rules and regulations they have you need to be a solicitor to get your head around it all. Then there's the pain of packing it up and carting it down the post office and making sure it's a signed for delivery. Not to mention all the fees you get charged, by both Ebay and Paypal. What a liberty, being charged to have money go into your account, and should you want it back in your own account, having to wait ten days!!!

I never used to extract the money from paypal because it was such a pain. I always ended up using it to buy something else off ebay. So effectively I never actually saw any gains from it, apart from other goods that I'd bought. I only ever buy off there now, and that's only occasionally.

ebid could have been a viable auction site with its policy on fees ,sadly the people using it seem to suffer from a terrible greed condition and because they are not governed by fees to a certain extent post stupid prices which has the effect of cancelling out the auction principle,pity really because it seems Ebay is quickly becoming swamped with dealers and the auction side of it is being swallowed up by classified ads and dealer shops.

I hadn't thought about it like that, I had assumed the higher starting prices were because folks were concerned they might not get as many bids (quieter site) as ebay so started the auction at the lowest they'd be happy with rather than low to encourage bids.

When I first registered with Ebay back in 2003 it was great, you could put things on at 99p and get lots of bids, now if you put something on at 99p thats about all you get. The trouble with Ebay now is instead of being an auction site, its just a massive on line shopping site. I haven't sold anything for ages, because of the fees, and buyers trying to scam because Ebay have made it possible for them to do so with their ridiculous rules, ie. the buyer is always right.

• 9 months later...
Or you agree to an item and they come to pick it up. They then say they only had X on them and could they pay that instead of the agreed price. :rant

I'm just stating Sheffield Forum policy on selling in classifieds and that we don't have an auction format.

Sheffield Forum isn't responsible for those who won't pay the agreed price.

I agree that people can be very frustrating though, on Sheffield City Freecycle they often don't turn up for the free stuff you're offering, ebay they may not pay, Sheffield Forum or Gumtree often they don't turn up - all it takes is an email or PM to say 'sorry I can't make it' or 'Sorry but I no longer want/need the item' - better that than keep you waiting in for them.

It's common courtesy, lots of people don't seem to have learnt it :(

It may also be a case of anything that poses a threat to ebay will be gobbled up with an offer that would be hard to refuse. The only way ebay will listen is when a substantial amount of people turn away. I doubt that will happen, they have such a wide selling footprint.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 01:55 ----------

would be nice if ebay did a section that didnt permit traders of any description, that section at least might be as ebay used to be before it became an online market

Personally I'd rather deal with the traders..the private sector has become such a "carboot mentality" it difficult to shift anything now at a profit.

Archived