How to deter Foxes

Hi

I am not sure where to put this thread but we are having problems with a fox. He/she has killed 5 chickens and seriously injured a cockrill over the last month.

I know it is nature but we need to know how to deter it from our and our neighbours land. It is so defiant.

It came up to our fence which is about 5 feet away from our home and even when the dog went out it just stood there. If the dog could have got over the fence he would have killed it as he is a guard dog and has a terrier in him.

I really don't want him/her to be killed as we could do that ourselves, we do have a gun license but I need advice on how to deter it

It looks so cute but is so not nice to the Chickens etc

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks x

Electric fences work a treat. Three years since we put ours up and not one fox attack. Tried a dog with them first but she upset them and they stopped laying. Short of shooting it I'd say electric fence was your best bet. Got mine 2nd hand from a farmer out near Chatsworth.

Thanks for your advice, we do have an electric fence when the horses are in these fields, we really need to re activate this whilst the horses are in their summer pastures. Thank you :)

The chickens are out during the day as they are free range. The fox comes and gets them during the day when we are often out and about. It has no fear, as I said the dog was very near and it just stood there looking at him. We really don't want to hurt , harm the fox just thought someone might have a solution to deter it.

The electric fence is not a bad thing, it gives a small shock which deters animals, it does not kill them or hurt them :)

The chickens are out during the day as they are free range. The fox comes and gets them during the day when we are often out and about. It has no fear, as I said the dog was very near and it just stood there looking at him. We really don't want to hurt , harm the fox just thought someone might have a solution to deter it.

The electric fence is not a bad thing, it gives a small shock which deters animals, it does not kill them or hurt them :)

I had the misfortune of leaning against an electric fence once.

WhooF! It threw me back about 5 feet. Good for you that your concern is deterring the fox rather than just killing it, like you say it's only doing what is natural.

Ha ha Taxman

I am sorry that happened to you, we try to put ours on the minimum but if we see people trying to take short cuts we do increase it, they don't often try it again. We only increase it to stop them as it sometimes freaks the animals out if they see strangers in their field. :)

My post on assasinating Charlie has been pulled - explanation please. Some of us actualy live in the countryside, and have to deal with the problems nature puts in our way. You can't deter Charlie, he cannot read notices to keep out, you have to dispose of him once he has killed your fowl, otherwise he will be back for another free lunch, and a spate of mindless killing. If you wish to get all your fowl killed, carry on with the deterant methods, but don't say I did not warn you. Charlie is not a little furry red friend like you see in books, he is an opportunistic killer - who will kill your chooks just for the love of it.

Angel.

You could try planting landmines, that could do the trick.

Beware of the electric fences though, can be very painful if you get caught short and you accidentally tiddle on it on your way back from the pub!:o

:hihi:

Archived