Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Guest unners

Originally posted by peterdo

Are you trying to wind someone up Red? :D

I'd advise against it, things can get quite ugly when it comes to discussing a certain area of Sheffield.

Originally posted by Maddy

I am not sure where I live! The estate agents details describe it as Grimesthorpe but i get post addressed as Brightside, Fir Vale and Taxi firms always ask if its in Wincobank. As far as I know Fir Vale starts somewhere down Upperwell Street and Winco Bank is after Jenkin Road??

Unless anyone knows better, Fir Vale is usally reckoned to be where the junction of Firth Park Road, Barnsley Road and Herries Road meet, by the Northern General Hospital.

I'm not sure where Grimesthorpe begins and Brightside starts.

As for the confusion with Wincobank, that will most likely be down to Wincobank Hill, which borders Brightside at one end, Firth Park on one side, Shiregreen at the other end and Wincobank on top.

OriginallyBposted by Abdul

Unless anyone knows better, Fir Vale is usally reckoned to be where the junction of Firth Park Road, Barnsley Road and Herries Road meet, by the Northern General Hospital.

I'm not sure where Grimesthorpe begins and Brightside starts.

Don't think you could be more precise than that Abdul :)

Brightside and Grimesthorpe were just tiny little hamlets in the 1850s, - both with little more than a dam, water-wheel and a few cottages, but these days include a much larger area that's difficult to define. Brightside of course also became the name of a large 'political' district.

The hamlet of Wincobank, with Wincobank Hall and Wincobank common stood opposite the junction of Shiregreen lane, Jenkin road and Newman road. A farm, a big house and few cottages.

The doubt and confusion arises because many of the names of areas in Sheffield are based on quite small and specific places, - often just a single dwelling, eg Page Hall and Nether Edge.

Fascinating stuff though, if you've an interest in local history. ;)

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Lower Walkley is near the Langsett Estate area,/ Upperthorpe (ish).

No, Lower Walkley is Walkley Lane and the roads running off it. Langsett Estate is in Langsett.

Walkley (Greater Walkley?) comprises:

Walkley (Inner Walkley?)

Lower Walkey

Walkley Bank

Bole Hill

Langsett

Burgoyne

Walkley Ward also includes Upperthorpe, Netherthorpe and Philadelphia, and Rudyard and part of Owlerton.

You see the problem - there are three Walkleys. The electoral ward, the large area comprised of six or so smaller areas, and one of the smaller component areas.

Originally posted by redrobbo

However, I am now considering moving house to avoid all this confusion. Been thinking of moving to Ecclesall - but does anyone know if this area includes Ecclesall Road? :hihi:

Well the southern part of ecclesall Road would be SHARROW (say between Gilders and town), the other would be whatever they call themselves up that side of town.

Originally posted by Lancs_Lad

Despite there being a sign "Stannington" against the wall of the Sportsman PH at the top of Stannington Road, all the inhabitants from Malin Bridge up to the Deer Park estate class themselves as being from Stannington. They've even opened a shop and called it "Lower Stannington Community Shop"!

I've looked at all the local maps I can get my hands on and can't find "Lower Stannington" anywhere!!:suspect:

What is this area called then ?

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

Well the southern part of ecclesall Road would be SHARROW (say between Gilders and town)

Oh dear.

Ecclesall Road starts at Gilders - beyond that is Ecclesall Road South.

The top bit is Banner Cross, the middle bit is Hunters Bar :P

Archived