Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Guest unners

Apart from the social cachet aspect, many places we now think of as 'districts' never were such until quite recently. A lot of what people now think of as 'Nether Edge' was in Sharrow when it was first built as the Kenwood estate. 'Nether Edge' was just the name of a single dwelling nearer to Abbeydale road than anywhere.

Another district that took it's name from a single dwelling is Hillsborough, - which properly is in the ancient district of Owlerton and Wadsley Bridge, just the name of a railway station really, is far removed from the equally ancient village of Wadsley.

Malin Bridge is another misnomer. The area used to be called Loxley Bottom but perhaps the Victorians weren't too happy about living in 'xxxxx bottom' with it's anatomical association :P

The SCC planning dept. these days even suggest that Bramall Lane football ground is in Sharrow :loopy: , - it's been in Highfields since I can remember.

Some people I know who actually live at Lodge Moor, rather pretentiously describe themselves as living in Fulwood, or even, wait for it, 'Upper Fulwood', which is totally pretentious as they live in a council flat near the Shiny Shef pub!

crazy...still, its all in a name?

Yea another friend of mine who lives in Walkley prefers to use the area of CROOKES in her address, which is actually, officially, further up the Hill. All in a name?

Originally posted by t020

People on Ecclesall Road often get their area referred to (particularly by estate agents) as Ecclesall when it certainly isn't. :rolleyes:

Not many forummers knew that t020! :hihi:

Originally posted by Greybeard

The SCC planning dept. these days even suggest that Bramall Lane football ground is in Sharrow :loopy: , - it's been in Highfields since I can remember.

Err.....it's actually Highfield. Likewise, it's also Lowfield (not Lowfields) and Parson Cross (not Parsons Cross).

I live in Lowfield, but some folk call it Olive Grove or even Heeley.

Despite there being a sign "Stannington" against the wall of the Sportsman PH at the top of Stannington Road, all the inhabitants from Malin Bridge up to the Deer Park estate class themselves as being from Stannington. They've even opened a shop and called it "Lower Stannington Community Shop"!

I've looked at all the local maps I can get my hands on and can't find "Lower Stannington" anywhere!!:suspect:

Originally posted by ashmorel

This is true. I used to live in a flat on Clarkegrove Road, near the Botanical Gardens and this was advertised as Ecclesall by the estate agents. I also saw it referred to as Broomhill but I'm not sure that's right either!! In fact, just what area is it?!

I also used to live in a flat on that road, and always knew it as Broomhill.

Archived