Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Guest unners

If I say I'm from Longley, plenty of people have absolutely no idea where it is.

They often look equally blank if I say its near Southey and Parson Cross. Usually have to describe it as "Near the Northern General". I don't suppose it'd be a good idea putting that down as my postal address though!

Originally posted by northernboy

Several years ago my boss at the time lived at Dronfield - if talking to anyone outside Sheffield he told them he lived "near Chatsworth"...

LOL - I live in Dronfield, but I usually just tell folks that I live in Sheffield as nobody has heard of Dronfield.

Originally posted by kentboy119

This is similar to Kenwood Park Road, S7 1 - S7 1 covers Nether Edge - Kenwood, like High Storrs as areas, aren't 'real' areas - on your city council's website, there's a list of the 28 electoral wards - which then fall within 5 constituencies.

When clicking on the ward, above it, are the districts/areas it covers - and interestingly, HS and Kenwood aren't mentioned, neither is the, in my, a southerner that you could dismiss as knowing nothing's opinion (;)) Hunters Bar.

:)

P.S: The area Wadsley Park, the area near the damflask - those new-builds - why have they added 'village' to it? IMO, a village is usually a GPO with out-of-touch-opening-hours, and cut-off (heehee!)

:)

P.P.S: Rich, Gleadless is S14. S8 is Norton, Woodseats, Lowedges, Beauchief, Jordanthorpe, Batemoor.

</studying map book - :D>

Kent boy, Gleadless itself, and G' Townend are actually S 12, Gleadless VALLEY and its environs (Herdings, Hemsworth, Newfield Green) is S14.

When I lived on Mount Pleasant Road, Highfields as a kid, our postcode was S7 1BA

My friend, who lived on Batt street, just across from us, on the opposite side of Abbeydale Road had a postcode of S8 XXX.

Kenwood Park did exist; it's now the grounds of the Marriott Hotel.

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Kent boy, Gleadless itself, and G' Townend are actually S 12, Gleadless VALLEY and its environs (Herdings, Hemsworth, Newfield Green) is S14.

When I lived on Mount Pleasant Road, Highfields as a kid, our postcode was S7 1BA

My friend, who lived on Batt street, just across from us, on the opposite side of Abbeydale Road had a postcode of S8 XXX.

Kenwood Park did exist; it's now the grounds of the Marriott Hotel.

PT

Heyup!

I did wonder whether Gleadless was S12 or S14.

Oh - I always had Highfields as near Heeley - I'm thinking of Lowfields.

yes some of the locals refer to it as gleagless, they also put the kekkle on and light cangles.

... and do they visit the 'ospicall' with a 'bockle' of orange juice?

The French do the same, it's hilarious! Also, an Irish friend tells me of someone who says 'my cousint', 'I was fryckened of the dark' and others say 'discotect' which is funny.

Originally posted by Yodameister

If I say I'm from Longley, plenty of people have absolutely no idea where it is.

They often look equally blank if I say its near Southey and Parson Cross. Usually have to describe it as "Near the Northern General". I don't suppose it'd be a good idea putting that down as my postal address though!

Happens to all of us mate :thumbsup:

Where is Longley?

Originally posted by artisan

Some people from Heeley Bottom used to say they were in Meersbrook as they thought it sounded better for some reason:D

It does sound better, as nowadays Heeley is associated with gangs etc. I always say I'm from Meersbrook and then if people don't know where that is i say Heeley.

It's also interesting that this thing goes on here as well, as it goes on a lot in France, where people don't put where they live on thier CV because there is so much prejudice against certain areas.

I live in Parson Cross but often jus tell people 'near Hillsborough' cos whenever u say parson cross they always seem to say oooo its a bit bad up there etc etc when its actually not at all. I'm not really bothered as much tho now about what people think.

hazel xx

Originally posted by kentboy119

When clicking on the ward, above it, are the districts/areas it covers - and interestingly, HS and Kenwood aren't mentioned, neither is the, in my, a southerner that you could dismiss as knowing nothing's opinion (;)) Hunters Bar.

But they are all areas - just because they're not council wards doesn't make them not areas.

I live in the Arbourthorne council ward, but my house is in Norfolk Park. Norfolk Park doesn't exist as a council ward, because the area is too small, so we're lumped together with Arbourthorne. But that doesn't mean that Norfolk Park doesn't exist.

It's the same with Kenwood, High Storrs and Hunters Bar. They are still all areas..

Archived