Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Guest unners

Originally posted by littleboo

Here's a true story for you, not really about changing the name of where you live more the neighbouring district.

I used to work in a department store as a Manager of a blind concession. A member of my staff was taking an order from a couple, she asked them for an address where they were going to be fitted, the couple gave their address which happened to be in Dore, to which she commented " Oh that's near me" the couple asked "where do you live" to which she replied "Lowedges" the couples face was an absolute picture and I nearly peed my pants after exiting to the stock room.:hihi:

Especially funny given the fact that the two areas are 3 miles apart.

Originally posted by BobsGirl

In my old job I was a bit pedantic when it came to areas, so if someone was at Abbey Lane, S8 that's Beauchief to me

Even if they lived in Woodseats? Abbey Lane starts at the Abbey pub in Woodseats, at the junction with Chesterfield Road. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Plain Talker

When I lived on Mount Pleasant Road, Highfields as a kid

Originally posted by kentboy119

Oh - I always had Highfields as near Heeley - I'm thinking of Lowfields.

Plain Talker and kentboy119 - I think you both missed my earlier post......

Originally posted by redrobbo

Err.....it's actually Highfield. Likewise, it's also Lowfield (not Lowfields) and Parson Cross (not Parsons Cross).

Originally posted by Andy

But they are all areas - just because they're not council wards doesn't make them not areas.

I live in the Arbourthorne council ward, but my house is in Norfolk Park. Norfolk Park doesn't exist as a council ward, because the area is too small, so we're lumped together with Arbourthorne. But that doesn't mean that Norfolk Park doesn't exist.

Before the last set of council elections, when the ward boundaries were re-organised and re-named, you lived in Park* ward Andy - as did the residents of Arbourthorne. (*Park - because the ward took it's name from Norfolk Park).

The new Arbourthorne ward encompasses Norfolk Park, Arbourthorne, Hurlfield, Gleadless, Gleadless Common, most of Gleadless Town End, part of Lowfield and half of Heeley Green!

Originally posted by littleboo

Here's a true story for you, not really about changing the name of where you live more the neighbouring district.

I used to work in a department store as a Manager of a blind concession. A member of my staff was taking an order from a couple, she asked them for an address where they were going to be fitted, the couple gave their address which happened to be in Dore, to which she commented " Oh that's near me" the couple asked "where do you live" to which she replied "Lowedges" the couples face was an absolute picture and I nearly peed my pants after exiting to the stock room.:hihi:

But before the council ward boundaries changes (mentioned above) half of Low Edges estate was actually in the former Dore council ward. So maybe that's why your customers thought they lived near Dore?

Originally posted by redrobbo

Plain Talker and kentboy119 - I think you both missed my earlier post......

redrobbo, - did you miss mine ? :)

Both PT and I lived in Highfields in our childhood and probably use the plural version from habit. It was common currency at that time amongst the local population, - whatever the council or Ordnance Survey chose to call it; and as I pointed out there is evidence for the use of Highfields in the late 18th and early 19th. century period.

My sis lives in Intake but always used to joke that it was actually ‘Upper Normanton Hill’ to make it sound posher. My dad carried on the trend by describing Malin Bridge as ‘Upper Loxley Valley’ – I think ‘upper’ was only used because it sounded posher than ‘lower’. I am trying to think of a suitable name for my new area. I live in Herdings these days, although I suppose it’s really half way between Herdings and Hemsworth. No one ever knows where either of these are though, so I just say ‘near the water tower’ and most people ‘ahhhh’ in recognition. Maybe that could be the new name of the area? Near The Water Tower?!?

Archived