Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Guest unners

I find that if I tell people I live in Intake, they give me that 'where the **** is Intake' look. These are Sheffield people too........

I could reply by saying its just down from the Manor and close by Woodthorpe, but I tell people its 'on the way to Woodhouse.'

:)

Originally posted by Greybeard

redrobbo, - did you miss mine ? :)

Both PT and I lived in Highfields in our childhood and probably use the plural version from habit. It was common currency at that time amongst the local population, - whatever the council or Ordnance Survey chose to call it; and as I pointed out there is evidence for the use of Highfields in the late 18th and early 19th. century period.

Hi Greybeard.

I didn't miss your post, and found it very interesting, especially with the links. Thanks for your information - much appreciated.

Notwithstanding historical information, Ordnance Survey does indeed clearly state the areas as Highfield and Lowfield. The nameplates on buildings also clearly state the names of the localities, e.g., Highfield library and Lowfield school.

I realise this is a debate I'm never going to win - even one of the Mods lists that he resides in Lowfields, and we only live a couple of streets away from each other!

But, just as folk from Parsons Cross, erm, Parson Cross get a little picky over having that extra 's' added to their locality, I for one still live in Lowfields, erm, I mean Lowfield! :hihi:

Both PT and I lived in Highfields in our childhood and probably use the plural version from habit. It was common currency at that time amongst the local population, - whatever the council or Ordnance Survey chose to call it; and as I pointed out there is evidence for the use of Highfields in the late 18th and early 19th. century period.

I'd have to agree with redrobo. When on Edmund Road, I lived in Highfield.

It happens quite a bit. When the OS first trekked around Sheffield in the late 18thC they asked some locals what an area was called and were told "Hooperthorpe".

The OS chaps thought "these yokels are trying on airs and graces by adding a non-existant 'H'" and duely wrote down the name as "Upperthorpe".

Originally posted by blademan:

It does sound better, as nowadays Heeley is associated with gangs etc.

Originally posted by nick2:

Is it?

Yeah, i get ribbed all the time, along the lines of "Oo, be careful round Heeley, make sure you've got your gun"

Originally posted by blademan

Yeah, i get ribbed all the time, along the lines of "Oo, be careful round Heeley, make sure you've got your gun"

No-one has ever said that to me, strange.

Originally posted by banesmabes

My dad carried on the trend by describing Malin Bridge as ‘Upper Loxley Valley’ – I think ‘upper’ was only used because it sounded posher than ‘lower’. I am trying to think of a suitable name for my new area. I live in Herdings these days, although I suppose it’s really half way between Herdings and Hemsworth. No one ever knows where either of these are though, so I just say ‘near the water tower’ and most people ‘ahhhh’ in recognition. Maybe that could be the new name of the area? Near The Water Tower?!?

Malin Bridge is in Loxley Bottom :P I suspect both Malin Bridge and Intake (and possibly Nether Edge) became used as names for 'districts' because they were both termini of the early trams, and as the names appeared on the destination boards they stuck in peoples minds when describing where they lived.

Do you mean the water tower at Norton ??

When I was looking for my flat, I was told "We've got a lovely appartment at Norton" - which was actually a flat in Gleadless Valley.

My bit of Norfolk Park has been described as "City Centre" by at least one estate agent. :suspect:

Archived