People who put large rocks on grass verges

I really think that people who want their verges to look nice & to stop people parking on them should be able to put rocks down. However, cars aren't the only problem.

I'm seriously thinking of planting several shrubs on mine. We make some effort to keep our verge looking good because I think it adds something to the overall look of the house & its surroundings. However, the council workers come along with their whacking great lawnmowers, regardless of whether we've just cut the verge ourselves or the ground is soaking wet and grind away at the grass. We had 3 big bald patches a couple of weeks ago when they did this. At least they've gone back to using hand mowers, they were cutting the verges with ride on mowers a couple of years ago which completely wrecked them. After some lively e-mail communications with one of the bosses, I managed to get them to leave our verge alone, but that only lasted for one season and then they were back hacking away at it.

If you own the grass verge outside your property, as your post clearly states a number of times, then why would the council be coming and cutting the grass?

Or do you mean the grass verge that belongs to the Highway Authority/Council?

I really think that people who want their verges to look nice & to stop people parking on them should be able to put rocks down. However, cars aren't the only problem.

What about the cars that want to park on the road but get children out of the verge side safely but can't open their door due to some stupid person putting rocks there. Painting them doesn't make them non-solid.

If you own the grass verge outside your property, as your post clearly states a number of times, then why would the council be coming and cutting the grass?

Or do you mean the grass verge that belongs to the Highway Authority/Council?

Where do I say we own it? Or are you being a bit pedantic about my use of the word 'our' by which I mean 'the verge outside our property'? 'Our' just saves me writing that out every time I mention it.

Edited by irenewilde

What about the cars that want to park on the road but get children out of the verge side safely but can't open their door due to some stupid person putting rocks there. Painting them doesn't make them non-solid.

A rock really isn't that big. I'm sure a competent driver could move their car the few inches it would take to make it so the car door doesn't open directly onto a rock. I spent many years doing just that outside my child's primary school.

Edited by irenewilde

A rock really isn't that big. I'm sure a competant driver could move their car the few inches it would take to make it so the car door doesn't open directly onto a rock. I spent many years doing just that outside my child's primary school.

Bearing in mind we had to took wing mirror in to prevent getting hit if we parked the about foot and half to be able to open the door to get my very young children (at the time) and my disabled child out of the door we would have been parked halfway in the road.

The rocks were big enough for our car door to not be able to magically pass through them.

Now my wife owns a 4x4 (to allow her to be on call) so would have the clearance. I drive a saloon car so still gave the problem so have avoid them despite paying road duty.

I got so ****** off over time I just used to get out before my wife parked and go and move the rocks ( note the pural) to the driveway either side 50/50 chance of getting it right the. We could park properly and get kids out safely.

Bearing in mind we had to took wing mirror in to prevent getting hit if we parked the about foot and half to be able to open the door to get my very young children (at the time) and my disabled child out of the door we would have been parked halfway in the road.

The rocks were big enough for our car door to not be able to magically pass through them.

Now my wife owns a 4x4 (to allow her to be on call) so would have the clearance. I drive a saloon car so still gave the problem so have avoid them despite paying road duty.

Oh my! 2 cars and still complaining on a forum and publicly declaring it to boot. This forum is better entertainment than anything on TV at the moment. I should thank you all for threads such as this!!!!:hihi:

Oh my! 2 cars and still complaining on a forum and publicly declaring it to boot. This forum is better entertainment than anything on TV at the moment. I should thank you all for threads such as this!!!!:hihi:

We need two cars.

My wife is a midwife and is on call 24/7 some days and due my work my car isn't Always there and isn't insured for use for work as my wife's is.

we have a 7 seater due to 5 kids (3 disabled) it being a 4x4 is due to her work as it will get around Sheffield in the snow long after taxi's and buses have called it quits.

I work all over the country and therefore need a car to get there.

The complaint was referring to a time when we had one car (and one driver). Now I remove the rocks out of the way and place them along the adjoining driveways.

What is your problem with us having two cars?

Edited by jubby
To be more clear why we needed to cars

We need two cars.

My wife is a midwife and is on call 24/7 some days and due my work my car isn't there and isn't insured for use for work as my wife's is.

I work all over the country and therefore need a car to get there.

Then maybe it's time to get 2 garages. Or 2 driveways at least. Just think of the time and energy you'll save to channel into complaining about other things!

Then maybe it's time to get 2 garages. Or 2 driveways at least. Just think of the time and energy you'll save to channel into complaining about other things!

Why do I need two driveways?