13.05.12 - Smithywood 5-1 Sheffield Forum

Sheffield Forum were left to rue 3 major decisions as they lost the lead and in the end the final game of the season. Forum were missing Dan Callow, Shaun Baugh and Ashley Matthews today through injury.

Forum made a bright start and straight away looked to get into the swing. They broke the deadlock after 10 minutes when Liam Wales burst down the right hand side and played the perfect ball across for Daniel Sheedy to knock home his 15th goal of the season.

A second should have been added shortly afterwards but Shane Middlebrooks header went over the bar.

Forum continued to forge chances but failed to convert any whilst frustrating Smithywoods attack.

HT: Smithywood 0-1 Sheffield Forum

The 2nd half started a different way. Smithywood hammered the long ball game and managed to equalise. The ball was played long down the right but the player was coming back from an offside position when he turned, got the ball and squared it for a simple tap in. The referee refused to acknowledge the clear offside and allowed the goal to stand. It was not the first, and wasnt to be the last decision to clearly go against Sheffield Forum on this occasion.

Forum struggled to get any clear chances in as shots were blocked and Smithy were much more aggresive than Forum. Smithy then took the lead as Corker was late with a challenge on the edge of the area. The ref gave the free kick but then stood by the penalty spot following claims from Smithywood players. The penalty was given and put away for 2-1 Smithywood.

Smithy then added a 3rd as Forum didnt get any breaks in the 2nd half and looked down and out. However, they continued to fight and had chances to pull one back but against shots were blocked.

Just when we thought it couldnt get any worse, a 2nd penalty was given. This time a shot was excellently blocked just yards out from goal by Ryan Lynch. Keeper Adam Smith got his hand to the follow up and eventually grabbed hold of the ball. However, the referee must have seen something else and awarded a penalty claiming the 'save' was made by right back Lynch despite a gloved hand clearly being the one to get there. The penalty was despatched for 4-1 to leave both sides confused over many decisions.

Forum moved into a 3-4-3 formation to try and pull something back with nothing to lose and coped well but couldnt not find the net. Smithywood finally rubbed salt into the wound by adding a fifth. A long ball over the top was chased down before being smashed past Smith.

Forum left the field feeling very agrieved by decisions. Plenty had gone against them in the first half but not in vital areas. The 2nd half was unbelievable and left a sour taste in the mouths of the players who were looking forward to this game and finishing on a high.

Team: Smith, Lynch, Jenkins, Appleby (Coates), Corker (Hunter), Wales (Proctor), Neate, Gray, Middlebrook, Sheedy, Dowling. Unused subs: Gill, Conway.

The season is now complete. Forum finish 5th place in the 3rd division out of 12 hopeful that promotion to the 2nd division is still possible. We will find out more in the coming couple of months. 2012/13 will start in September.

The season is now complete. Forum finish 5th place in the 3rd division out of 12 hopeful that promotion to the 2nd division is still possible. We will find out more in the coming couple of months. 2012/13 will start in September.
It's a shame that you lost the last one, but you've done very well this season. You got a trophy! :clap:

Onward and upward!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's late Pink but i've had a few days away,as always a brilliant report,sounds like a swings and roundabouts game.

It's a shame about the result,but i'm guessing most of the lads would have taken 5th at the beginning of the season.

Thanks to all of you for the entertainment this season and i just thought i'd let you know that in my opinion you have all done the forum proud.

A big well done to everyone involved.

Sorry it's late Pink but i've had a few days away,as always a brilliant report,sounds like a swings and roundabouts game.

It's a shame about the result,but i'm guessing most of the lads would have taken 5th at the beginning of the season.

Thanks to all of you for the entertainment this season and i just thought i'd let you know that in my opinion you have all done the forum proud.

A big well done to everyone involved.

Top man and nice words m8 good on ya all forum arnt we :)

Archived