Will there be riots again this summer?

Will there be riots again this summer?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be riots again this summer?

• Yes
    • No

There will probably be some token disturbances from some youths.

No doubt the Police will come down a bit harder this time and no doubt Amnesty International will complain.

Personally I think the Police should in times of emergency call in the Military, not waving guns etc (Though I think there should be an armed contingent, as there was video evidence that some of the Rioters had guns last year, thank god they can't shoot for s***). There are plenty of Veterans of Iraq in the Military who know how to deal with a riot... Lets see how "Hard" these youths are against H.M's finest.

But to answer the original question.

Yes but no where near the scale there was last year...

• 2 weeks later...

There will not be any riots this summer and thats thanks to all this rain.

Thats one down side of a hot dry summer, the doley chavs get out of bed at 1pm, get some booze and hit the streets for a riot (notice all riots started after about 4pm last summer?)

I think if riots happen again in the future, people caught should be forced to pick food from the fields for 4 months the following year (from May to August), be forced to work 12 hour shifts, have their benefits stopped and be forced to live on the minimum wage.

I can't see many repeat offenders after this punishment, I reckon many will be too tired to riot after doing a 12 hour shift

There will probably be some token disturbances from some youths.

No doubt the Police will come down a bit harder this time and no doubt Amnesty International will complain.

Personally I think the Police should in times of emergency call in the Military, not waving guns etc (Though I think there should be an armed contingent, as there was video evidence that some of the Rioters had guns last year, thank god they can't shoot for s***). There are plenty of Veterans of Iraq in the Military who know how to deal with a riot... Lets see how "Hard" these youths are against H.M's finest.

But to answer the original question.

Yes but no where near the scale there was last year...

Absolutely not! The last time troops were used against civilians in England was in Manchester in 1819.

The last time troops were used against civilians in the UK was in Northern Ireland - but it's worth noting that regiments from Northern Ireland were never sent there.

Soldiers are soldiers. - They are not policemen. If the government wants policemen, it should hire and train more policemen - not try to re-deploy soldiers.

The last time that the British people had to suffer under a military dictatorship was under Cromwell.

Would anybody really want to see that again? - I doubt that there are very many people in the armed forces who would be too happy should Parliament try to use them against the populace.

Parliament does not have an Army, a Navy or an Air Force.

Nor should it.

I don't understand why you would think this is the government being out of touch with people.

There is an issue with regards parenting that needs addressing. Poor parenting is responsible for so many problems in the UK. Yes, those parents are unlikely to attend the classes (or if they do attend, it won't be for the right reasons), but what good is ignoring the problem without trying to do something to ameliorate it? This isn't being out of touch. These families cause so much grief for society, for the rest of us. God forbid we upset them! Riots? It's always those who want something for nothing who riot. They want to be able to live how they want, and have what they want at the expense of everyone else. How can we moan about pockets of society if we are not prepared to take steps to change that pocket of society. I read this forum, and see posts about benefit fraud, amongst other things, yet when it comes to a government proposing changes that would go a long way to resolve these issues, everyone is in uproar. What do you want, people?

I don't understand why you would think this is the government being out of touch with people.

There is an issue with regards parenting that needs addressing. Poor parenting is responsible for so many problems in the UK. Yes, those parents are unlikely to attend the classes (or if they do attend, it won't be for the right reasons), but what good is ignoring the problem without trying to do something to ameliorate it? This isn't being out of touch. These families cause so much grief for society, for the rest of us. God forbid we upset them! Riots? It's always those who want something for nothing who riot. They want to be able to live how they want, and have what they want at the expense of everyone else. How can we moan about pockets of society if we are not prepared to take steps to change that pocket of society. I read this forum, and see posts about benefit fraud, amongst other things, yet when it comes to a government proposing changes that would go a long way to resolve these issues, everyone is in uproar. What do you want, people?

Because the people who want to punish people, the ones like you, are the most vocal and pushy in society and get their views from sensationalism propagated in the rightwing gutter press. Fortunately they are in the minority. You can't push people around and not expect a backlash. Public opinion is often swayed by some supposed opinion published in the press, the more sensible are not.

I am not pushy, and I am certainly not vocal. I don't riot. I don't demonstrate. I abide by democracy. The best thing that happened to my family when I was growing up was the poll tax, for example. What did we do when it reverted back? Accept it.

It's not pushing people around. It is making necessary changes. How on earth can we moan about the situation, yet, when we try to change it, it's the same people who moan that they are being pushed around. What on earth is the comment 'people like you' supposed to mean? You don't know the first thing about me, my situation or who I am and what I have. I give and give and give, in my life....to people I don't even know. I don't punish people. I, myself, also manage with so very little, you have no idea.

Democracy is just that. People vote. The winner wins. Why is it acceptable for a backlash? Did the people who did not vote for the last government backlash against their reforms? No?

Too many people just want to be looked after, in this country.

On to the point of parenting, though. How, when we all know so many people require major parenting, can we moan about them, if we don't actually offer any parenting classes? Be they attended or not.

Archived