Does adopting Islam liberate women?

Does islam liberate women?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Does islam liberate women?

• Yes
    • No

Many folk on here will always argue Islam places restrictions on women, like been told to wear the veil and burkha, and not allowed to interac with other men, however others argue many women feel liberated becuase they are are not judged by what they wear, what they look like, and the Hijab frees wonmen from curent trends in fashion, the need for botox and the pressure of trying to keep up with youthful appearances.

It's too general a question, and it also depends on wether you mean Islam (as in what it teaches, the ideal, in context) or Islam including cultural baggage.

So without further clarification the answer is 'yes' and 'no', it all depends on the woman's circumstances/heritage/choice.

I think it also depends on which generation you are from, where you live, and your peers. older generations would have known nothing else but I can imagine some younger generations not being so strictly religious and have grown up surrounded by western culture. that's bound to have an impact on you but that impact is an impact on the individual. it's not going to help by lumping them all into one pot as if they are some kind of collective conciousness.

Many folk on here will always argue Islam places restrictions on women, like been told to wear the veil and burkha, and not allowed to interac with other men, however others argue many women feel liberated becuase they are are not judged by what they wear, what they look like, and the Hijab frees wonmen from curent trends in fashion, the need for botox and the pressure of trying to keep up with youthful appearances.

You can't liberate someone by telling them what they must do.

So those are the only choices are they? Wear a hijab/burka or dress in the latest fashion. :roll:

How does the portion I highlighted 'free' them?

How does the portion I highlighted 'free' them?
As that bit comes before the 'however' and the supposed advantages, I'd guess that he's postulating it as part of the restrictions?

I can't see how anyone, man or woman, believes that wearing a burqa frees a woman from being 'judged' on her appearance. Anymore than wearing anything other than a fairly normal outfit stops others from judging anyone on their appearance.

And the answer to the op, in my opinion, would be NO. Adopting any religion as a serious endeavour and not a cry for attention or acceptance in a certain set is bound to restrict one.

He only talks about clothing though in the supposed advantages.
I get your point now. They're about the only 'advantages' I've ever seen put forward as well, now I come to think about it. On here anyway, which is the only place it ever seems to be discussed.

Archived