Does adopting Islam liberate women?

Does islam liberate women?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Does islam liberate women?

• Yes
    • No

Read that back, can you really, genuinly not see that you are adopting the same behaviour as those of a Christian/Islamic bent that you are complaining about?

Really? You complain about the religious being arrogant (I agree that some are) and then put reasons into their mouths as to why they are converting (which I wouldn't do) and you can't see that you are behaving in exactly the same way as those you are complaining about.

So, in your opinion, no one else can have an opinion? Don't let your mind become so open, that your brains fall out.

And as a non-muslim, in spite of all your support and fair words, you're just as much a kafir as the rest of us. You'd be assimilated in the end, resistance is futile. :)

Read that back, can you really, genuinly not see that you are adopting the same behaviour as those of a Christian/Islamic bent that you are complaining about?

Really?

I think you should learn about religion more. Islam is nowhere near the most restrictive religion, that shows both an ignorance of Islam and of other religions.

Where is Islam in the restrictive religion league table then?

So, in your opinion, no one else can have an opinion? Don't let your mind become so open, that your brains fall out.

And as a non-muslim, in spite of all your support and fair words, you're just as much a kafir as the rest of us. You'd be assimilated in the end, resistance is futile. :)

I didn't say you coudn't have an opinion, I said you were behaving in the same way as those you are complaining about but allowing yourself a moral superiority, that is arrogance. Never once did I say you couldn't have an opinion, but as we're on a discussion forum it's entirely reasonable that we should be able to discuss it.

Actually I'm not a Kafir, because I don't reject God, you really should brush up on your Islam.

Where is Islam in the restrictive religion league table then?

It's not the worlds most restrictive religion, I don't think putting it in a 'league table' is fair or right.

I don't actually agree with much of what Islam teaches, if I did I would take the Shahada, and what people on here don't see is the arguments I have with Muslim friends about the details.

I think on this forum (actually in this country in general) Islam is looked at very one sided.

I think you would see more from me in this debate if it expanded beyond the clothing issue which everyone seems so hung up on.

And what about all the millions of women who don't get a choice about adopting Islam? Their fate is decided for them by their culture. They cannot challenge it and they certainly cannot leave Islam without a very real threat to their lives.

I think you would see more from me in this debate if it expanded beyond the clothing issue which everyone seems so hung up on.

I agree. We can move on to female genital mutilation, the stoning of adulteresses, Sharia requiring two womens' testimony against one man's and the segregation of the sexes and lack of opportunity generally for many Muslim women. Which one do you want to start with?

And what about all the millions of women who don't get a choice about adopting Islam? Their fate is decided for them by their culture. They cannot challenge it and they certainly cannot leave Islam without a very real threat to their lives.

I entirely agree, that is why I said at the very beginning that the question was too black and white. I define Islam differently to you or to a Muslim woman or to an Ex Muslim woman.

My interest (and knowledge) of religion lies in the 'ideal' of what that religion is/claims to be. I don't deny that every single religion has problems in living up to that ideal and we need to be open and honest as religious people (not talking about you Bloom obviously) as to what those problems are. Especially when people are being subject to nothing less than slavery to a religion.

Archived