Does adopting Islam liberate women?

Does islam liberate women?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Does islam liberate women?

• Yes
    • No

I agree. We can move on to female genital mutilation, the stoning of adulteresses, Sharia requiring two womens' testimony against one man's and the segregation of the sexes and lack of opportunity generally for many Muslim women. Which one do you want to start with?

Whichever you like, but let's be clear on what is cultural and what is Islamic.

That's not me being apologist, but it is important.

By the way, I am not a fan of the Shariah at all, I think it is contradictory to 'Islam' in large parts and even (the Muslims don't like this) contradicts the Quran. Never the less we have to examine it closely and from all angles.

Do not forget the Hadiths

The Sunnah and the Hadith are largely what goes into the formulation of the Shariah. As there are many more of them than Quranic rules they are often used as the basis for Shariah law.

What many outsiders don't know (and many insiders don't want them to) is the authenticity of some of them is fiercely debated, when this is brought up officially (I myself have done so) it is not looked favourably upon.

Well as a mere woman, who's obviously not allowed an opinion, I'll withdraw from the discussion and leave you boys to sort it all out. After all, that's how the Big Three began. Started by some self righteous male who thought he had all the answers about what people should do with their lives. :D

Just a suggestion, try wearing a hijaab or a burqa for a few hours, especially on a hot day. Maybe you'll have another opinion about it after that.

Many folk on here will always argue Islam places restrictions on women, like been told to wear the veil and burkha, and not allowed to interac with other men, however others argue many women feel liberated becuase they are are not judged by what they wear, what they look like, and the Hijab frees wonmen from curent trends in fashion, the need for botox and the pressure of trying to keep up with youthful appearances.

If they feel the need to wear a burqa, they must feel they are still being judged by wearing one or not.

In Islamic countries, women are entirely judged by the wearing or non-wearing of the burqa, often being beaten if found wearing the wrong clothing.

This video is worth a watch, and shows women in Muslim areas of the UK are judged by what they wear, including for not covering up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXdClkUxaQY

The "moderate" Muslim Council of Britain also holds extemist views on the matter:

Muslim Council: women cannot debate wearing veil

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8455955/Muslim-Council-women-cannot-debate-wearing-veil.html

What is the difference?

Are you going to take it into a "sewing up female genitalia isn't really Islam" direction?

No. I'm going to distinguish what Islam (the ideal) says on the matter and what the cultures it has entered into says. I'm no apologist for Islam, but lumping everything into one basket won't solve a thing. And it certainly won't effect a change where It's needed most, from within the religion.

No. I'm going to distinguish what Islam (the ideal) says on the matter and what the cultures it has entered into says. I'm no apologist for Islam, but lumping everything into one basket won't solve a thing. And it certainly won't effect a change where It's needed most, from within the religion.

The emphasis on female chastity and virginity upon marriage is the cause, the effect may vary from culture to culture, however, the common denominator is . . .?

Archived