Sending a 4" pocket knife to Australia

Your answer is there:

Items that are NOT subject to control

standard kitchen knives; single edge swords; traditional samurai and katana swords; bayonets designed to be fitted to a firearm; two handed opening knives; rubber training knives; multi tools; stanly knives; khukri; kukri; bowie knives; machete; spears; spear heads; bolo; dao; iaito; jian; kopis;

But a penknife is a multi use tool unlike a two handed opener so it might be accepted which is why he should contact the embassy.

Cheers for that, perfect, it looks like it should be ok, it is a service issue 4" army knife made and stamped in Sheffield,

http://www.madeinsheffield.com/view_item.asp?ProductID=135

we are also sending Some Henderson's, A tea-towel etc, basically anything Sheffield orientated.

We did try Royal Mail, but was on hold for 30 Min's, so thought I'd give Sheffield Forum a whirl, Cheers.

If they find the Hendo's it'll be rejected.

But a penknife is a multi use tool unlike a two handed opener so it might be accepted which is why he should contact the embassy.

Doesn't that list specifically include knives that require two hands to open, which would include pen knives. It would appear from that list that you can send pretty much any bladed weapon you like.

What are you saying?

Most penknives are two-handed opening knives. It is not controlled i.e. can be sent without restriction.

A multi-tool is, also, not controlled and can be sent without restriction.

What are you saying?

Most penknives are two-handed opening knives. It is not controlled i.e. can be sent without restriction.

A multi-tool is, also, not controlled and can be sent without restriction.

I don't know what i'm saying, I misunderstood everything after post 4

It is highly unlikely that a 4" pocket knife, made from Sheffield steel and sent as a gift, would be considered "smuggling weaponry into Australia." But it does not hurt to have that officially confirmed in a phone call or an email.

You will have to declare on the parcel what's in it, anyway; the only way that this would be likely to cause a problem is if you did not.

Cheers for that, perfect, it looks like it should be ok, it is a service issue 4" army knife made and stamped in Sheffield,

http://www.madeinsheffield.com/view_item.asp?ProductID=135

we are also sending Some Henderson's, A tea-towel etc, basically anything Sheffield orientated.

We did try Royal Mail, but was on hold for 30 Min's, so thought I'd give Sheffield Forum a whirl, Cheers.

Nice gift with a handy hoof-pick! I wouldn't mind one myself - I'm always having to remove sharp pebbles from my horses' hooves!

Archived