Is it time for road tolls

I think it has more to do with raising even more government revenue and tracking peoples' travel than it has to do with road safety TBH.

The way I read it was that the object of the exercise would be to sustain the level of revenue currently garnered from motorists. The study suggests that revenues are likely to fall in the not too distant future due to newer, more efficient engines becoming more widely available. Increased efficiency together with more widespread use of electric vehicles will lead to a reduction in revenue from conventional fuel.

To the point, the money has to come from somewhere.

The way I read it was that the object of the exercise would be to sustain the level of revenue currently garnered from motorists. The study suggests that revenues are likely to fall in the not too distant future due to newer, more efficient engines becoming more widely available. Increased efficiency together with more widespread use of electric vehicles will lead to a reduction in revenue from conventional fuel.

To the point, the money has to come from somewhere.

Speed cameras anyone?

I think it has more to do with raising even more government revenue and tracking peoples' travel than it has to do with road safety TBH.

The RAC were this morning claiming that fuel duty will rise by 50% in a few years to cope with the number of motorists taking advantage of low emission vehicles and paying £0 or £30 road tax a year, so I can see that angle.

As for "tracking people's travel", for what purpose are you thinking? I've been pulled over for traffic surveys at Mottram Moor several times over the years. They ask where I'm going as why I didn't use public transport.

They claimed that the results of the survey would be used to improve public transport or the road links. Although ten years on nothing has changed there!

Archived