80 mph on motorways good idea or not

We don't have fast lanes (I'm not sure you do either, certainly in the states I've been in the speed limit is the same across the entire highway).

The over taking lanes are to the inside which is as you described your fast lane, and the normal driving lane is to the outside where you would find any exits. (I've seen exits in Canada that exit from the inside of the highway though, very counter intuitive if you're not used to it!)

We don't have fast lanes (I'm not sure you do either, certainly in the states I've been in the speed limit is the same across the entire highway).

The over taking lanes are to the inside which is as you described your fast lane, and the normal driving lane is to the outside where you would find any exits. (I've seen exits in Canada that exit from the inside of the highway though, very counter intuitive if you're not used to it!)

Right, we just always refer to it as the fast lane, Not much difference driiving over there than here realy except the exits over there are very far apart, I think Sheffield only had two exits back then

Has 5 now, 33 - 36 with 35a.

People call it the fast lane here, but technically it isn't.

The thing I found weird in Florida on the highway is that the speed limit kept changing, it varied between 55 and 70 up and down over the hundred miles or so that I drove on it.

Confusing I know for foreigners, we drive on the correct side of the road but the rest drive on the wrong side,no sorry only joking,our motorways are mostly 3 lanes, lane one from left or the first lane is for slow moving traffic middle lane is supposed to be for overtaking and the outside lane is for faster traffic with a maximum speed of 70 mph, trucks are not allowed in the outside lane and are not to go over 60 mph that is basically how it is supposed to work but very rarely does this happen

Agree to no upper limit. The 70mph speed limit came in when cars were slow and rubbish. Cars can travel safely at much higher speeds now.

Yes, but back then only twenty four people in the entire country had motor cars, not the 30 million+ of today.

Confusing I know for foreigners, we drive on the correct side of the road but the rest drive on the wrong side,no sorry only joking,our motorways are mostly 3 lanes, lane one from left or the first lane is for slow moving traffic middle lane is supposed to be for overtaking and the outside lane is for faster traffic with a maximum speed of 70 mph, trucks are not allowed in the outside lane and are not to go over 60 mph that is basically how it is supposed to work but very rarely does this happen

The motor way like out through ways are Easy to drive on, it's when you get off your in trouble

I remember reading not too long ago a family in Sheffeidl were killed I think in Florida just pulling out of a hotel Parking lot and automatically turned the wrong way right into on comming traffic.

Arguably a lot of the time its not possible to go much over 70 anyway. I'd love to see real hard evidence that increasing the speed limit would actually improve the average speed of vehicles much and also not increase the number of road deaths. It may be the moderate increase that may result in the first won't be worth the increase in the second. Although having said that road deaths on motorways are not that high compared to 30 mph roads.

Outside rush hour (okay, that's about 4 hours a day) it's possible to drive at 70+ most of the time.

I'm about to set off home and expect that I could speed most of the way if I wished, excepting when the lorries overtake each other and get in my way.

The variable speed limits seem to work well, based on congestion levels, so I think they could be used to allow 80 as well, where appropriate.

For the past couple of years I have regularly commuted between Sheffield and Leeds. My commute is early in the morning when there is not much traffic, but even so I reckon that most cars are travelling at or even below 70mph, there are few at 80.

That is the speed that the vast majority of people drive at anyway when traffic permits.

The danger is that people will increase their speed to whatever they drive at now + 10mph... And the reason that's a danger is that the greater the difference between the slowest and fastest vehicles the more the danger increases. Lorries generally being the slowest vehicles and will be staying limited to 56mph.

You're right about people currently driving at 80mph even though the current limit is 70mph, but the 80mph legal limit, if brought in, will be strictly enfoced, so no creeping up to 90mph and getting away with it.

Archived