80 mph on motorways good idea or not

In the UK, there are no 'fast' lanes.

On a three-lane motorway, the lanes are (from left to right):

a. the driving lane;

b. a lane for overtaking slower vehicles in the driving lane; and

c. a lane for overtaking slower vehicles in the lane for overtaking slower vehicles in the driving lane.

I was taught to regard the driving lane as magnetic. Stay there- always- unless there's a good reason not to (= overtaking).

Jim what category would you put me in then I drive HGV trucks I also drive a 4+4 and also own classic cars non of them will do much above 60 mph. or and I forgot I have a caravan as well

You sound like Clarkson's worst nightmare.

What about, on four-lane motorways, having the outside two lanes forbidden to lorries, caravans, trailers, etc. and set at an 80mph limit, with the inside two lanes restricted to 60mph?

At present, where a motorway is three lanes lorries are restricted to two, but where it is four lanes they can use three. That's always seemed odd to me, since two lanes of lorries and two lanes of cars would keep traffic flowing much more freely.

I've argued before for the raising of the motorway speed limit to 90mph, on the condition that the new limit is enforced - as in, you are caught speeding once, you lose your licence.

This is not the question what was asked, and you have argued over absolutely everything. Thats nothing new. Stick to topic and answer the original question.

This is not the question what was asked, and you have argued over absolutely everything.

I'm not arguing. I'm in favour of an 80mph speed limit. I just thought it might help if I gave some reasons for supporting it, and expanded on the responses already given about what the problems might be.

Nothing against higher speeds but use of German speed-space camera technology has to be considered.

Space is the key. Too many here drive too close with a 70 limit. At higher speeds and increased margins between the fastest and slowest will mean increased difficulties in keeping in one piece.

Before anyone writes "the Germans seem to cope with unlimited speeds", 45% of unlimited stretches of their m/w network somehow generate 73% of their m/w deaths."

I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that the Germans don't actually manage the higher speeds as well as some would suggest.

No problem with increasing the limit to 80, seeing as how it's comparatively common for many vehicles to do that already. "But people will just drive at 90" - NOT if the penalties for breaking an 80 limit are DOUBLED and enforced RIGIDLY. "It's 80 - no excuses".

People will not stick to the speed limit of 80 mph there will always be the the impatient idiot who wants to over take every one and will be doing 100mph before they know it, at that sort of speed an accident will be fatal and more than likely involve Innocent people I spend a lot of time on the motorways and you see these people driving in the outside lane very fast and so close to the car in front that they would have no chance of avoiding a collision if the car in front slowed down rapidly, idiot inexperienced drivers and speed are a recipe for disaster.

The variable speed limits seem to work well, based on congestion levels, so I think they could be used to allow 80 as well, where appropriate.

For the past couple of years I have regularly commuted between Sheffield and Leeds. My commute is early in the morning when there is not much traffic, but even so I reckon that most cars are travelling at or even below 70mph, there are few at 80.

On the M18 and A1 this morning I was doing just over 80 and was being regularly overtaken.

Archived