Black Cab Drivers

• 2 months later...
Anyone ever work for Tomlinson,s Taxi,s in the sixties 64 onwards:D:D

HI My G father and father both worked for Tomlinsons from Bedford st as early as 1850 bit before your time did you say!

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin did a stint there around 1967, the boss was a Mr.Hudson. The cabs were black above the waste with a horrible beige colour on the lower half. On the boot was "Tomlinson's radio taxis." as they were the first to employ radio I think. The firm were also funeral directors. One driver was called Albert whose son was a ballet dancer, he was quick to add "But he's not one of those!". Another driver wore a bus crew type cap and kept his cab to a much higher standard than the rest, spick and span and disinfected. My cousin was once given a job to a up Woodseats and he thought the message on the radio had said 'The Bag Hotel', he queried this thinking it was a bit of fooling around only to be told he'd mis-heard, it was the 'Bagatelle' ! Are Tomlinson's still in business ?

Archived