Help Finding My Dad

I found my dad on the electoral role, it cost about £16. Then I used a solicitor to write to him legally, which cost about £250. The outcome was good for me, but just make sure you're prepared for both sides.

I guess you need to determine what you want from him - as he won;t really know. I was 24 when I found mine and I was sure I didn't want anything from him, or to disrupt his family life, I just wanted to know where I came from, which is understandable.

It turned out that my 'dad' (i don't call him dad) didn't reject me (which I'd prepared myself for) but he was the total opposite, which was very strange to me. It's only now, about 7 years later that I think we both understand what our relationship is.

He lives a couple of hours from here and I meet him probably twice a year and speak on the phone for a few minute every week.

Like I said, determine in your mind what you want from him, and if he wants to meet you, don;t make the mistake I did and go on your own - do it in a group situation.

Sg x

I Just want to see what he looks like really, and like u said, to know where i came from. I dont want anything from him, or to distrupt his life, more than anything i just want to see what he looks like and then maybe take it from there.

I wouldn't know it was him if i saw a picture of him so i guess i have to put a lot of trust in my mum to tell me if it is him or not.

Thanks for all the help, i will definatly try all your suggestions :)

You can access census results but not after 2011 so not much good for you. You can get the electoral results for people living in Sheffield at Sheffield library but would need to find out what district he is in now for further searches. I have tried 192.com and there are 3 possibles but you would need to Pay for them.

I believe a census has to be 100 years old before it can be accessed - the 1911 census is the most recent that can be viewed which probably would of no use to the OP.

The Bath electoral roll sounds to be your best bet.

Good luck OP.

Archived