Debate: Should people on benefits be paid in coupons

good morning everyone,

i am on benefits , not by choice, i havent been well for a long time now.

luckily i can budget well but i know people who are useless with money.

i dont drive, smoke or drink.

i think people on beneits should be paid in vouchers, as all supermarkets and shops could accept them, also clothing stores, and utility companies and holiday companies etc should accept them in payment too. (even ill and disabled people can holiday once a year) if they can budget!!!

as long as i had food, clothing, elec and gas etc that is what is important to me and my family if they were still living at home.

if coupons were brought in i am sure there will be less people drinking and smoking and wasting money every day rather than going to work and earning the money to buy these things .

also there wouldnt be the 'latest gear' war with kids nowadays.

They should have to provide identity when using the coupons.

My misgivings are these:-

Where would the coupons be exchanged for the food? Would the claimant using the coupons be able to shop around, and get the best price for their veg, or will the coupons only be valid in the most expensive shops?

How would the coupons be used to pay for necesities like the water bills, or gas and electricity bills?

As I said previously proof of identity to be holding the coupons, it's no big deal to set up a system to deal with it properly.

As I said previously proof of identity to be holding the coupons, it's no big deal to set up a system to deal with it properly.

Doesn't do anything to stop the groceries that are allowed immediately being exchanged for beer though.

Nor did your response actually address Plain Talkers' concern at all, ie would you be able to use the coupons in a market for example or only in the large supermarket chains.

I'd love to know how they do it as well. I get £50 ish and I'm left with £0, I'd be in the minuses if I took credit or borrowed, but I don't. Oh, and I don't really have to pay much out either.

I suspect you're just making things up m'dear :)

Maybe people like you should be finding out how the likes of Abu Hamza and the terrorist waiting to be sent back to Jordan get the massive amounts that they get.

Doesn't do anything to stop the groceries that are allowed immediately being exchanged for beer though.

That would rely on there being a sufficient number of people who when faced with the choice between nip to the shop to buy some groceries and just buy what I want or sidle up to a variety of doleys armed with cheap cider and hope that eventually i'll get everything on the list at a small saving would choose the latter course of action. Some people would, but not very many.

Nor did your response actually address Plain Talkers' concern at all, ie would you be able to use the coupons in a market for example or only in the large supermarket chains.

The system could be made to work, it has in wartime because people diddn't come up with Hypothetical situations that had already been safeguarded against.

There will always be spivs & raketeers

No it couldn't, rationing applied to everyone, coupons for benefits is an attempt to limit what a subsection of people could buy.

Obviously the entire discussion is hypothetical, I'm not sure why you think hypothetical scenarios that make the idea pointless and doom it to failure aren't allowed if the hypothetical idea is allowed in the first place.

That would rely on there being a sufficient number of people who when faced with the choice between nip to the shop to buy some groceries and just buy what I want or sidle up to a variety of doleys armed with cheap cider and hope that eventually i'll get everything on the list at a small saving would choose the latter course of action. Some people would, but not very many.

I suspect it would work the other way around, the 'doleys' who really wanted cider would purchase something long life and with a stable price and the classified section on here would be full of 100 assorted tins of heinz soup for sale for £50.

Maybe people like you should be finding out how the likes of Abu Hamza and the terrorist waiting to be sent back to Jordan get the massive amounts that they get.

Do share, how much does Abu Hamza get in benefits?

Obviously the entire discussion is hypothetical, I'm not sure why you think hypothetical scenarios that make the idea pointless and doom it to failure aren't allowed if the hypothetical idea is allowed in the first place.

No matter what suggestion is made you'll always get the 'What Ifs' with their negative approach

Archived