Debate: Should people on benefits be paid in coupons

Then I do not know how this works without compromising family life.

Two parent working families are incredibly common these days, yet you don't know how they work???

You are better of going without than not seeing your kids grow up and being responsible for them.

Working doesn't mean not being responsible for your children.

I know this is hard in the present: must have World: we live in, but take it from me it is a fact.

I'll decline to take your word on it thanks.

When benefits are being handed out on a plate people will take them, I also work 2 jobs don't smoke don't drink and haven't had a holiday for 3 years since before the little one arrived but that's life. As William Hague said the other day stop complaining and work harder. Maybe Mr Cameron should listen to his foreign secretary.

Well as one of these terrible unemployed scroungers sucking up the princely sum of nearly £70 a week I would like to know when I'm going to get my new car and holiday. Do I have to apply for those separately? Also as I neither smoke nor drink would I be able claim the smoking and drinking allowance or do I have to take up these habits and prove that I follow them before I get the extra cash?

As William Hague said the other day stop complaining and work harder.

I always find that ironic from a politician. Real hard work that is. I also note that Parliament is having a 2 week rest again for Whitsun ... and then 6 weeks mid-July. They must need the rest.

When benefits are being handed out on a plate people will take them, I also work 2 jobs don't smoke don't drink and haven't had a holiday for 3 years since before the little one arrived but that's life. As William Hague said the other day stop complaining and work harder. Maybe Mr Cameron should listen to his foreign secretary.

I'm alright, Jack. When jobs are being handed out on a plate people will take them.

We just need as a society to get away from expecting something for nothing, to get people back to work, employers need to be encouraged to employ the unemployed instead of foreign workers, the unemployed need to be given a reason to work, make them better off in work and for the people that just can’t find a job they need to be given something to do to receive their benefits. We get rid of benefits and call it community service to be used as an emergency support system in which they are paid to work in the community. The benefits office staff should be actively placing the unemployed into jobs.

There is also the large elephant in the room that no-one seems to ever address - we live in a world with increasing globalisation, increasing automation and an increasing population unless we fairly radically reform the idea of work then there just aren't jobs for all. It should be cheaper for an employed to take on two people to work 4 day weeks than to take on one person pay a bit of over time and work them every hour god sends.

However, a lot of people I interact with thro work and my social area drink most nights/afternoons or weekends, smoke 40+ a day (cant be cheap), holiday abroad each year and drive 2 to 3 year old cars, all payed for by the tax payer.

I have a lot of sympathy with your point of view. I know a couple who have not worked since 1986. They own their own home and have expensive holidays. I work hard and seem to struggle a lot more than they do and will have to carry on until I drop. There is something deeply wrong and divisive about a benefits system that costs working people so much and gives those unwilling to work a seemingly better life. I think it undermines the work ethic and it is there for everyone to see.

Having said that, you won't get much sympathy on this Forum. Why else are so many people able to spend their days on here? No wonder this is such a well populated Forum.

Archived