How many time wasters usuing the classifieds

i know this subject has been covered and many times, i am growing increased concerns about the number of sales falling through after a address has been exchanged, like i have a valuable item for sale atm, i got bartered down from my original asking price over a course of 2 days, agreed a price and a time for collection waiting in most of the night for this illusive buyer, is this site full of dreamers? or thieves finding out were valuable items are kept?, once your address has been given out you become the vulnerable party, on the other hand i know there are genuine people on here Ive sold a laptop, PC and other items all to genuine people, and just last night some body sold me a item off here and it was abit far for me but id asked for his personal details (address) so i went for the item. i know the classifieds is just a small section of Sheffield forum but there should be a easy way of reporting continuous time wasters and where you can check who is before commencing business, i know you might think i may be going over the top here but its happened many times, its not the sale not going through its the taking adress with no intent or no communication to say "look ive changed my mind mate" ........ rant over

I don't use that section but know what you mean.

A simple way to expose the repeated time wasters is for a sticky topic in those areas, with the forum names of those who do this over and over.

That could lead to abuse too, in the form of false accusations.

But I know what the OP means by feeling slightly vulnerable once you give your address, and it makes things worse when nobody turn up. Particularly when they don't make any sort of contact to say why.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer or an easy fix. But thinking about it, selling anything from home always carries that risk, wherever you advertise, be it the small ads in a newspaper to gumtree or on here...even on ebay!

That could lead to abuse too, in the form of false accusations.

But I know what the OP means by feeling slightly vulnerable once you give your address, and it makes things worse when nobody turn up. Particularly when they don't make any sort of contact to say why.

I'm not sure there's an easy answer or an easy fix. But thinking about it, selling anything from home always carries that risk, wherever you advertise, be it the small ads in a newspaper to gumtree or on here...even on ebay!

im not for a name and shame as such but admin should consider a policy when a user has had 5 strikes (reports) of such behavior then a administrator should name them on a page a general user cannot edit or add to, that's a idea which would require more thought before it would work, the risk cannot ever be removed but should be reduced if possible, ive been done over on gumtree before even eBay, ive dealt with alot of nice people on here who have been to collect things and before you know an hours past in conversation, my biggest mistake was a car i bought off here with 1 small problem lol ..... £350 quid later in repairs and ive 1 more small problem to sort....

If I am honest I wouldn't say its a problem with thieves getting your adress in the attempt to steal from you surely people aren't that stupid i mean your IP adress is tracked so if you suspected that a burgarly was due to the fact someone asked for your adress then stole from you it would surely be easy detection for the blues in twos.

I think its more a case of a vast amount of dreamers ive used sheff forum for quite a substantial amount of time now and have met people who were an absolute joy to deal with, but on the other side of the card i have seen idiots who have turned up but then wanted to rip me off with a stupid price? and yes ive seen it many times where someone says yeh mate ill defo have it etc etc then doesnt turn up.

There is 2 ways I handle a sale now the first is I never invite people to my home address I always say "ill meet you at meadowhall" or something like that.

The second method I use is I always say to a potential buyer its sold on a first come first served basis meaning that although I may say to you the item is available and we arrange a collection time of 5PM if another buyer says I can collect at 3PM they get it simply because there is no guarantee the other buyer will turn up so if the 3PM one does he can take it if not the 5PM one can collect it. I do however have the courtesy to let the later buyer know the item has been taken.

None of the methods listed above are fool proof but they do tend to avoid a few losers.

i know this subject has been covered and many times, i am growing increased concerns about the number of sales falling through after a address has been exchanged, like i have a valuable item for sale atm, i got bartered down from my original asking price over a course of 2 days, agreed a price and a time for collection waiting in most of the night for this illusive buyer, is this site full of dreamers? or thieves finding out were valuable items are kept?, once your address has been given out you become the vulnerable party, on the other hand i know there are genuine people on here Ive sold a laptop, PC and other items all to genuine people, and just last night some body sold me a item off here and it was abit far for me but id asked for his personal details (address) so i went for the item. i know the classifieds is just a small section of Sheffield forum but there should be a easy way of reporting continuous time wasters and where you can check who is before commencing business, i know you might think i may be going over the top here but its happened many times, its not the sale not going through its the taking adress with no intent or no communication to say "look ive changed my mind mate" ........ rant over

There is 2 ways I handle a sale now the first is I never invite people to my home address I always say "ill meet you at meadowhall" or something like that.

The problem (as I see it) with saying I'll meet you at Meadowhall or whatever, is, if I was a buyer, that would make me suspicious, in that there was some other reason for not wanting to disclose a home address. Stolen goods for example! It would just ring alarm bells with me.

Or maybe I have a suspicious nature! :suspect:

I wouldn't agree with that because lets be honest if your going to try and dispose of stolen goods you wouldn't offer a meeting point which has CCTV everywhere.

The way I see it is if a potential buyer insisted he come to my address I would instantly cut the sale from there.

The problem (as I see it) with saying I'll meet you at Meadowhall or whatever, is, if I was a buyer, that would make me suspicious, in that there was some other reason for not wanting to disclose a home address. Stolen goods for example! It would just ring alarm bells with me.

Or maybe I have a suspicious nature! :suspect:

I wouldn't agree with that because lets be honest if your going to try and dispose of stolen goods you wouldn't offer a meeting point which has CCTV everywhere.

The way I see it is if a potential buyer insisted he come to my address I would instantly cut the sale from there.

I agree maybe Meadowhall is a bad example, with the CCTV coverage. But someone dodgy may well select another place where there is none, and anyway, how would you know it wasn't stolen? There may well be a multitude of other reasons too apart from the stolen goods issue.

I did actually meet someone at Meadowhall to exchange something I had bought from Ebay once, but that was more to do with geography, as she happened to be going there anyway, and I work fairly close to MH, and collected it in my lunch hour from work. I wasn't the least bit suspicious on that occasion because it suited us both.

If disclosing the address is an issue provide a phone number and a postcode with the initial arrangement. As they are leaving get them to text you then text the full address,if they don't text for the address they aren't coming.

If phone credits an issue,use an online service FOC.

I often i'm too trusting when meeting forum members(too trusting in general i think tbh),i've left them alone at my stables whist they collect items,i've left forum workmen in my house whilst i went out for an hour.

I won't disagree with what your saying there I just personally always use CCTV places simply because its risky on both sides for example I offer to sell you a bargain priced macbook pro at £500 you turn up thinking your getting a bargain and what you actually get is mugged.

I always use CCTV so both sides feel they are safe and a nice easy deal can take place.

In terms of the item being sold for another issue that is something you cant really get around purely because if I said yes its fine come to my house and then sold you a faulty product by all means you can come and complain but there is no guarantee you can get your money back.

That I think is an issue you cant really get around.

I agree maybe Meadowhall is a bad example, with the CCTV coverage. But someone dodgy may well select another place where there is none, and anyway, how would you know it wasn't stolen? There may well be a multitude of other reasons too apart from the stolen goods issue.

I did actually meet someone at Meadowhall to exchange something I had bought from Ebay once, but that was more to do with geography, as she happened to be going there anyway, and I work fairly close to MH, and collected it in my lunch hour from work. I wasn't the least bit suspicious on that occasion because it suited us both.

Archived