Places to go in europe in the summer

hey

I'm going travelling in Europe next year, and i wondered if there are any specific places, events, festivals people could recommend to me?

i want to make next summer one of the most memorable of my life!

thanks for your help

Hannah

ps thought i'd specify that i'm 21

German Beer Festivals are never a bad idea. As well as the obvious Munich one there is a really good one in Stuttgart too but they tend to be late summer. If you are interested in history there are a ton of places to go like Waterloo, Verdun, Dachau (very moving). I would avoid the top touristy places in high summer. Venice is a nightmare all year round and Florence and Rome aren't much better. Paris is great but Lyon is just as good. The Alps are magnificent. Southern Europe does get very hot in midsummer. I lived in Germany and France so know most about them.

Some good suggestions so far, I'd definately start in Normandy if you've not been. The sacrafices made by the Allied forces there are what allows us the freedom to travel today and reading about it in books does not convey the same sense of understanding as visiting the landing beaches and museums in the area does.

Archived