Lack of service pensions 1949 - 1st April 1975

When you say- 'Anyone serving in the armed forces between 1949 and April 1975', do you mean enlisting during that period, or do you mean anyone actually serving part of their stint during that period?

When you say- 'Anyone serving in the armed forces between 1949 and April 1975', do you mean enlisting during that period, or do you mean anyone actually serving part of their stint during that period?

It relates to regulars not conscripts.

Also colour service and not reserve service.

Serving and leaving between those dates.

If you left after 1st April 1975 the rules were changed and service was counted as pensionable. If you left in March 1975 it was not counted as pensionable.

It relates to regulars not conscripts.

Also colour service and not reserve service.

Serving and leaving between those dates.

If you left after 1st April 1975 the rules were changed and service was counted as pensionable. If you left in March 1975 it was not counted as pensionable.

That's typical of the way the military are treated.

Thanks for reply harvey

I have read several web sites about this issue and can't mame head nor tail of any of them.

I served nine years (signed on dotted lin 1967) pensionable from 1969 to 1978 (ages 18-27), but on reading the sites I understood it to mean I only qualified if I'd have signed on after 1975.:confused:

Thanks for reply harvey

I have read several web sites about this issue and can't mame head nor tail of any of them.

I served nine years (signed on dotted lin 1967) pensionable from 1969 to 1978 (ages 18-27), but on reading the sites I understood it to mean I only qualified if I'd have signed on after 1975.:confused:

You should be entitled to a pension or lump sum as you came out after March 1975 but you have to claim it.They will not give it you without you actually claim.

There was a meeting at Carbrook Hall yesterday which was very informative.

If you go onto the site the area organiser should tell you how to go on.

That's typical of the way the military are treated.

They never told anyone about this either. I found out in May 1974 when I tried to sign on after doing 15 years.I believe this also applied to the civil service, who never managed to get anywhere with it.

They never told anyone about this either. I found out in May 1974 when I tried to sign on after doing 15 years.I believe this also applied to the civil service, who never managed to get anywhere with it.

Apparently the government say that all service personnel were made aware of the changes and so had the opportunity to reenlist to take advantage of the change in rules by staying on until after the change date.

I was not aware of this change and it doesn't appear that anyone else was.

The EfVA is trying to get a cross party motion introduced in parliament before the next election and needs 10 MPs from both sides to do this.

It would also appear that we had a percentage of our wages stopped for pension contributions.

Archived