Was he miming??

I was watching that 'Audience with Barry Manilow' on ITV3 tonight (it was either that or watching paint dry, literally, on some DIY show). He's a weird one, Barry. I know he looks weird, I'm OK with that, but was he miming? He doesn't seem to open his mouth enough to emit a sound...it's probably going to keep me awake all night.

I was watching that 'Audience with Barry Manilow' on ITV3 tonight (it was either that or watching paint dry, literally, on some DIY show). He's a weird one, Barry. I know he looks weird, I'm OK with that, but was he miming? He doesn't seem to open his mouth enough to emit a sound...it's probably going to keep me awake all night.

Yep, I think so.

TV studios are not conducive to great acoustics in much the same way recording studios aren't great for shooting films in. The things taht make them good for one make them pretty shoddy for the other.

Most music performances are not done live, they are often sung by the performer over pre-recorded version of the track this enables the performer to arrange points in the track where the sound gallery will fade out the vocal track (recorded on a separate channel to the music) meaning the performer can alter the performance as they see fit so as to make it feel less like a dry mime.

Top of the Pops acts were pretty much all miming, even the bands that claimed not to be. Not all of them but a significant majority.

Archived