Picnic early June

Hi,

I want to go for a picnic with my girlfriend in early June!

I would like a river or lake and some nice woods or countryside. Now I go mountain biking a lot and found some nice spots on the way to the peaks through Ecclesall Woods, but it will be very busy. Does anyone have any suggestions that will be quiet?

Thanks

Chrus

Hi,

I want to go for a picnic with my girlfriend in early June!

I would like a river or lake and some nice woods or countryside. Now I go mountain biking a lot and found some nice spots on the way to the peaks through Ecclesall Woods, but it will be very busy. Does anyone have any suggestions that will be quiet?

Thanks

Chrus

Dear Chrus,

I think that you should go for a picnic on the sheffield Canal. You can visit the scene from The Full Monty and you can be certain that your picnic will be unique and it will be quiet! You could even take a bottle of white lightning and some black pudding and a pork pie.

Paddly Gorge up near Longshaw is nice, gets very busy though so get there early.

There's ladybower as well, it's massive so if you can't find a quiet spot there then i'de give up. I think you can also get a bus further round the resevior where normal cars can't go, so should be even quieter

It largely depends on whether you have a car or are relying on public transport, and how far you're prepared to walk with your picnic. In June, particularly on a weekend, attractive sites by water tend to attract the crowds.

Padley Gorge is lovely, but even on week days in summer tends to attract significant visitors. Same is true of Rivelin valley. Monsal Dale is always busy, but you can usually find a secluded spot if you're prepared to walk along for a while - not sure how easy it is to get there by public transport though. Burbage Moor isn't as pretty, but the river runs right down from Ringinglow Road to the Toad's Mouth, so there's quite a large area and you could probably find a quiet spot - and can be driven to, or reached on public transport. The River Derwent behind Hathersage is quite nice, but I'm not too sure how many quiet picnic spots there are. If you really want to work up an appetite before lunch, Kinder Downfall is lovely, often surprisingly busy, but again the landscape lends itself to being able to find a spot away from other people.

Reservoirs are also a good option, although the facilities at Ladybower are so good that even though it's big, it tends to be busy. I'd consider Agden, More Hall or Broomhead as quieter alternatives but couldn't think of picnic spots off-hand.

If you're planning to go somewhere on the weekend, you probably need to be prepared to walk for at least 15 / 20 minutes to get somewhere that's quiet.

You're spoilt for choice mate. Depends on how far you want to travel and how you're going to get there. If you're by car and don't mind a drive there are some fantastic places in the Derbyshire Dales, but it means venturing out a bit.

Try checking out some of the lesser well known dales if you want to find somewhere quiet. Beresford dale is lovely, as is Wolfscote dale. There's loads - just pick up an OS map and see for yourself. Or visit the Ordnance Survey website and go to "getamap" to view one for free!

If you want to stay closer to Sheffield, you're still spoilt for choice. Dam Flask, Limb valley, Mayfield valley for example. Or a bit further out, Millthorpe in the Caudwell Valley - that's nice and quiet.

Archived