Arsonist kills 6 children in Derby housefire.

I doubt any council would want to set the precedant that if your existing house burns down then you get an upgrade, they might as well set fire to half their housing stock overnight.

Like you I'm reserving judgement till charges are brought, i can't see a way that they could benefit but equally arresting them in the run up to the funeral seems odd if their is no credible evidence against them, we'll just have to wait and see.

The council will have no alternative than to rehouse them because they'll be homeless, with priority because of the kids...

There was a similar case some years ago of another man who set fire to his own house to try and get rehoused...also killing his kids...

The council will have no alternative than to rehouse them because they'll be homeless, with priority because of the kids...

There was a similar case some years ago of another man who set fire to his own house to try and get rehoused...also killing his kids...

They would have to rehouse them, but not in a bigger house, which is what they were asking for.

They would have to rehouse them, but not in a bigger house, which is what they were asking for.

Quite. I am also bemused by this. They don't own the house so no huge pay out there for a rebuild. Nor will they be eligible for a bigger one as they have lost 6 kids. As for the comments about smoke alarms, friends of mine had a house fire recently in the middle of the night and were alerted by the burglar alarm first, despite having several functioning smoke alarms in the downstairs area.

Quite. I am also bemused by this. They don't own the house so no huge pay out there for a rebuild. Nor will they be eligible for a bigger one as they have lost 6 kids. As for the comments about smoke alarms, friends of mine had a house fire recently in the middle of the night and were alerted by the burglar alarm first, despite having several functioning smoke alarms in the downstairs area.

I presume this is the reason why the general speculation is of it having 'gone wrong'. I doubt they meant for the kids to die, even if they did start the fire themselves.

I am still reserving judgement.

I think thats the only sensible approach at this stage. The truth will out, the fire forensics people are incredible in what they can determine from a pile of ashes. Till charges are brought we're all just guessing.

I don't know how big their current house is....I've seen a five bedroomed housing association house in the past..so there are bigger houses out there. I don't think its wise to compare your reasoning with others who have less ability to.....

Some people move from house to house all their lives..its what they do..

I'll be very surprised if the parents did it.

No smoke without fire, if you'll excuse the pun. At the time, nobody thought Karen Matthews was guilty. (BTW, have you noticed Rebekka Brooks is an absolute spit for Matthews?)

These people are beyond thick and it's all too easy to imagine a 'plot' forming in their thick, drug-addled brains.

But of course, not giving a toss about your kids and putting them in grave danger isn't exclusively the preserve of the thick and poor.

I remember a case in Portugal the other year...

Archived