Arsonist kills 6 children in Derby housefire.

Mod Note

I still haven't seen anybody forming an opinion of guilt. Just saying they thought something was odd and I honestly don't see what the problem with that is to be honest. Nobody is pretending to be a criminologist or behavioral psychologist, just some folk having a chinwag about a case which has rightly horrified people up and down the country. I find the attitude of some on here to be pretty patronising.
That is because the moderation team are deleting any comments that do this.

See http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8914109&postcount=239 for more information.

I am not saying these people are guilty or not guilty, it isnt my place to do so

But there been many cases where you have the press conference only to find they are the ones who did it!, ie shannon mathews

Now would that apply to Maddie Mccan ??

I am not saying these people are guilty or not guilty, it isnt my place to do so

But there been many cases where you have the press conference only to find they are the ones who did it!, ie shannon mathews

Now would that apply to Maddie Mccan ??

There have been more cases where the ones making the appeal at a press conference were not guilty. People seem to forget this and focus only on the sensational 'I always knew there was something dodgy about him/her/them' ones.

There have been more cases where the ones making the appeal at a press conference were not guilty. People seem to forget this and focus only on the sensational 'I always knew there was something dodgy about him/her/them' ones.

Be interesting to list up the high profile ones and then work out the % of guilty

Personally speaking about these sort of things, I don't know how people (no matter who) can go on TV and, knowing full well the truth, can try to dupe people. Not referring to ANY case in particular, just seems a nasty trend that needs bucking.:)

Be interesting to list up the high profile ones and then work out the % of guilty

It wouldn't be interesting because it would tell us something we already know, that the vast majority of murder victims aren't murdered by members of their family.

As others have pointed out, we only remember the 'high profile' ones because they endorse our prejudices and 'told you so' mentality.

This is several years out of date and is missing the infamous Karen Mattews. However, it's hardly a significant number (7 reported in the link below over an 18 year period, one is a US case) out of what must be a far greater number of profile cases that fade into oblivion. I suspect that if James Bulger's killers had never been caught, people would be accusing his benefit scrounging Scouser parents of having had a hand in it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7288543.stm

Archived