Arsonist kills 6 children in Derby housefire.

I guess they could try bucking the crime trend too blade and not murder people in the first place! ;)

I agree most whole heartedly BF, but sadly it happens & has done since the dawn of time, didn't Cain murder Abel? Also think I'm right here but you'll put me right (lol), majority of people are murdered by people known to them, sad but hey ho.

I agree most whole heartedly BF, but sadly it happens & has done since the dawn of time, didn't Cain murder Abel?
Indeed he did blade, and it seems humanity learns little from the experiences of our ancestors.

Also think I'm right here but you'll put me right (lol),

Moi?! ;)

majority of people are murdered by people known to them, sad but hey ho.

Yes I think that's true, or family members/acquaintances are over represented in the perpetrator statistics.

UTB

Hypothetically speaking here, if it was the parents who did it and the motive was for any reason other than to kill the children, wouldn't it be manslaughter not murder?

Yes indeed and if guilty of such a crime it can mean a life sentence and if manslaughter of 6 people would definitely mean a life sentence (with a tariff of 10 + years) i would say....

I agree most whole heartedly BF, but sadly it happens & has done since the dawn of time, didn't Cain murder Abel? Also think I'm right here but you'll put me right (lol), majority of people are murdered by people known to them, sad but hey ho.

That statistic applies to rape as well. However, we need to be careful here and distinguish between murder and manslaughter.

That statistic applies to rape as well. However, we need to be careful here and distinguish between murder and manslaughter.

Wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the day the charges were reduced to manslaughter.

That is what I thought regarding the dodgy smoke alarms that the council fitted in my home, they don't go off until you've alredy got a raging fire and the house is already full of Deadly smoke.

sidecut, are the smoke alrms in your house all wired up to your mains system? demand that they be overhauled like the council have a responsibility with the gas supply etc, if they are not, buy some from wilkos or a DIY store for your own peace of mind at least, i wouldnt be happy with a smoke alarm whats not doing its job if you say that amount of smoke isnt triggerring them, best to have something that works than something that may aswell not even be there due to it not functioning correctly

GF x

sidecut, are the smoke alrms in your house all wired up to your mains system? demand that they be overhauled like the council have a responsibility with the gas supply etc, if they are not, buy some from wilkos or a DIY store for your own peace of mind at least, i wouldnt be happy with a smoke alarm whats not doing its job if you say that amount of smoke isnt triggerring them, best to have something that works than something that may aswell not even be there due to it not functioning correctly GF x

The alarms that the council fitted are long life battery type, we don't live in a council house, I have refitted my own DIY store alarms for peace of mind.

I have contacted Derbyshire police with mine and my wifes concerns regarding the council fitted alarms just in case these were the types in place at the said property.

Archived