Arsonist kills 6 children in Derby housefire.

I can't see the point of doing something like that. That seems unecessarily cruel on the face of it.

Even if one or both of the parents set the fire for whatever reason, intending to cause the deaths of their children could not possibly have been one of them. There's no evidence that they were normally neglectful or abusive parents, who wanted to kill their kids, is there?

Unless the authorities think that their presence might provoke violent disorder?

I thought that too, but then again they're not being charged with Manslaughter which suggests that the CPS think there was intent

I thought that too, but then again they're not being charged with Manslaughter which suggests that the CPS think there was intent

Without commenting on this particular case, more generally, the CPS often charge Murder in the full knowledge that the Judge can direct Manslaughter or the jury can decide on an alternative of manslaughter if they find actus reus to be proved in the absence of mens rea.

Archived