Arsonist kills 6 children in Derby housefire.

As a first approximation, in the absence of any information about the specific causes of a fire, the most likely explanation is accident.

Once it's been decided that it is not an accident, the next most likely explanation is "insurance job."

In this specific case, the details we have available now make fairly clear that it wasn't an insurance job - or that, if it was, the parents are the most blitheringly stupid crooks to have appeared for a long long time, since they decided to go to sleep in their front lounge after pouring petrol through their own letterbox. I think we can discard them as suspects.

Whether the police were able to discard them as suspects before the first interviews, we cannot tell. We can be fairly sure that they will have been interviewed as soon as they were coherent after the tragedy.

why are you aiming that at me, I am not suggesting they should be interviewed as suspects!

why are you aiming that at me, I am not suggesting they should be interviewed as suspects!

Nor am I, but neither am I suggesting that they should be interviewed as non-suspects. I don't know what normal procedure is; I'm just pointing out that in the generic case of arson, the first suspect on any list is the owner/inhabitant of the property.

Nor am I, but neither am I suggesting that they should be interviewed as non-suspects. I don't know what normal procedure is; I'm just pointing out that in the generic case of arson, the first suspect on any list is the owner/inhabitant of the property.

I am being defensive-oops:D

I am being defensive-oops:D

No worries. When I'm responding to an ongoing discussion, I tend to quote the last relevant post, regardless of who made it - which sometimes makes one person feel I'm jumping down their throat when all I really wanted to do was provide some additional information and/or context. :cool:

from what i saw on look north the parents didnt look very credible as distraught people!! god forbid anything happend to my kids i could not go in front of cameras! more to come out in this case i think....insurance claim gone wrong?

And the people of Sheffield show their overwhelming compassion once again. It looked very real to me.

Their 6 children have just died, and you think they weren't credible as distraught people?

Even if your insurance claim went wrong and you accidentally killed your 6 kids, I think you'd still be rather distraught, don't you?

cant even imagine it....

no idea maybe a bigger house from the council?? i really hope not!, so where were they? when the kids were upstairs? out?[/QUO

sleeping down stairs, 6 kids, 3 bedrooms. so the parents slept downstairs.

I know what they mean. It seemed like they were trying to emphasise their distress. But we are talking about people we don't know, we know even less what they are feeling.

I felt the same about the mccanns but now I think they were quite rightly feeling really guilty for leaving their children in a foreign apartment alone.

Maybe its guilt that they got out alive!

thats true, I have always said my children would never die in a fire that I got out of, as I would NEVER leave them. but its easy to say, the reality is very different.

in either case the parents have lost their child/ren it just dosnt equate to anything else. your child missing or dead. ..... cant even go there.

Archived