Housing market not being fixed say housing groups

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18098956

I'm no financial expert but surely investing in the ever increasing demand for new homes, especially affordable family homes which are desperately needed would create growth and employment which has got to be a better option than sky high unemployment?

How times changes though, In the 90's I remember when Sheffield had too much council housing which they couldn't even give away!

The problem is people were using the housing market to amount personal wealth. You can't have an economy based on the housing market, consumerism or selling insurance to each other.

I work in construction and there are a couple of things that need to be fixed to get the housing market moving again. The big problem is that "affordable housing" is not affordable. It still costs the earth. But it needn't. One thing holding back housing are the absurd rules and regulations. Layer upon layer of pointless, mindless bureaucracy makes housing too expensive to build. Land is too expensive because of too many limitations on where you can build. All the ludicrous requirements (and Sheffield always go to the max on these) for sustainability and eco friendliness and all the other garbage green requirements also add to the cost. On top of that the building trade is lumbered with huge bureaucracy over H&S, CDM, CSCS etc etc. It all adds up to make housing too expensive.

Somebody needs to cut through the crap and allow timber frame buildings, prefabs, converted sea containers and anything else that will shelter human life to be put up cheaply and quickly. Once you have people in accomodation the price of houses will stabilise if not fall. It could be done tomorrow, but it won't because there are far too many vested interests in keeping housing expensive.

Once you have people in accomodation the price of houses will stabilise if not fall. It could be done tomorrow, but it won't because there are far too many vested interests in keeping housing expensive.

It's called greed. The hypothetical me would say if I bought an house at £X, why should I sell it at less value for which I bought it, what kind of investment is that? If you tried to build more houses which would lower demand and thus lower asking prices, I would do everything in my power to stop you.

I work in construction and there are a couple of things that need to be fixed to get the housing market moving again. The big problem is that "affordable housing" is not affordable. It still costs the earth. But it needn't. One thing holding back housing are the absurd rules and regulations. Layer upon layer of pointless, mindless bureaucracy makes housing too expensive to build. Land is too expensive because of too many limitations on where you can build. All the ludicrous requirements (and Sheffield always go to the max on these) for sustainability and eco friendliness and all the other garbage green requirements also add to the cost. On top of that the building trade is lumbered with huge bureaucracy over H&S, CDM, CSCS etc etc. It all adds up to make housing too expensive.

Somebody needs to cut through the crap and allow timber frame buildings, prefabs, converted sea containers and anything else that will shelter human life to be put up cheaply and quickly. Once you have people in accomodation the price of houses will stabilise if not fall. It could be done tomorrow, but it won't because there are far too many vested interests in keeping housing expensive.

Build some slums cheaply is your solution to houses costing too much...

Build some slums cheaply is your solution to houses costing too much...

People make slums, not houses. If you put people in need of social housing in cheap houses you make slums. I am talking about helping those young people who can't afford to get on the property ladder because they have to find a £30k deposit. Give them an opportunity to have their own place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18098956

I'm no financial expert but surely investing in the ever increasing demand for new homes, especially affordable family homes which are desperately needed would create growth and employment which has got to be a better option than sky high unemployment?

How times changes though, In the 90's I remember when Sheffield had too much council housing which they couldn't even give away!

restricting supply pushes up prices and the banks cash in.

Archived