Spain snubs the Queen over Gibraltar. Are we bothered??

I'm fairly sure that if there was a referendum, that the monarchy would win. People don't like politicians, and that's what you'd be replacing the monarch with.

We wouldn't be replacing the monarchy with anything...we'd just be getting rid of a load of inbreds who only have jobs because the public pays them to travel the world, standing up, sitting down, shaking hands and eating dinners.

What qualifications did they get, how many A levels, degrees, NVQ's? Because real people have to pass exams to get on in life......

What qualifications did they get, how many A levels, degrees, NVQ's? Because real people have to pass exams to get on in life......

So a man should be judged by the bits of paper he managed to aquire as a youngun not what he's done with his life since?

So a man should be judged by the bits of paper he managed to aquire as a youngun not what he's done with his life since?

No matter how many qualifications a commoner has they can never aspire to become king/queen. The only requirement to be a royal is to be born a royal. Did you become a gardener because you were born a gardener?

No matter how many qualifications a commoner has they can never aspire to become king/queen. The only requirement to be a royal is to be born a royal. Did you become a gardener because you were born a gardener?

I totally agree it's a bit of an odd system for chosing a head of state in the modern world. But it's worked far better for us than anyone elses in the modern world. As and when it doesn't there may be a change of view, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The point is every poll carried out puts monarchists in the majority, republicans don't have to like it but they should accept if they did get a vote on the issue, they'd lose. Maybe this will change in the future, but certainly not while Queen Elizabeth is on the throne, and the new generation will likely kick that potential republican majority a long way down the road again.

Charles is republicans only hope, so you do at least have one.

Polls are flawed, the last one carried out only questioned just over 1000 people. We don't use polls to elect our governments so why should we use polls to make a decision on the monarchy. The fact no government will allow a referendum on the monarchy goes to show we are being denied the right to a fair choice.

Just because the monarchy is part of our history, it doesn't make it right or that it should continue. Many outdated parts of our country have long been banned or cast aside. I'm no fan of the whole, off with their heads, Vive la Revolution style republicanism. I would prefer to see the end of the British Royal family with the current queen. When she pops her clogs, the Uk should become a republic.

I would much prefer a president to be the head of state and actually be a leader rather than the empty throne we had today that is nothing more than a mouth piece for the government. There is a reason why so many nations have this format and why more and more are joining them.

Polls are flawed, the last one carried out only questioned just over 1000 people. We don't use polls to elect our governments so why should we use polls to make a decision on the monarchy. The fact no government will allow a referendum on the monarchy goes to show we are being denied the right to a fair choice.

Just because the monarchy is part of our history, it doesn't make it right or that it should continue. Many outdated parts of our country have long been banned or cast aside. I'm no fan of the whole, off with their heads, Vive la Revolution style republicanism. I would prefer to see the end of the British Royal family with the current queen. When she pops her clogs, the Uk should become a republic.

I would much prefer a president to be the head of state and actually be a leader rather than the empty throne we had today that is nothing more than a mouth piece for the government. There is a reason why so many nations have this format and why more and more are joining them.

WeX we agree on many things, on this we don't but healthy debate is all good. My respect for the selfless life HM Queen Elizabeth has led in the service of the nation aside, the big question for me is which PM's would you rather had as head of state? President Brown? President Major? President Blair God forfend.

Lets see if Charlie boy does the right thing and lets his lad have a crack at maintaining the monarchy as an apolitical institution which makes johny foreigner very nervous about pulling stunts against us too often.

WeX we agree on many things, on this we don't but healthy debate is all good. My respect for the selfless life HM Queen Elizabeth has led in the service of the nation aside, the big question for me is which PM's would you rather had as head of state? President Brown? President Major? President Blair God forfend.

Lets see if Charlie boy does the right thing and lets his lad have a crack at maintaining the monarchy as an apolitical institution which makes johny foreigner very nervous about pulling stunts against us too often.

The President doesn't have to be the head of government with the power and the status that attracts the politicians. For example, can many people in Europe name the current German or Italian Presidents?

The President doesn't have to be the head of government with the power and the status that attracts the politicians. For example, can many people in Europe name the current German or Italian Presidents?

Well quite. Why when "The Queen" is mentioned anyone anywhere on the planet who doesn't have a Queen assumes they mean our Queen and those that do if it's not their Queen thinks it must be our Queen should we have a Queen, when we could have some grey chap in a suit who still needs all the diplomatic protection and costs in the end as much but rather than being one of the iconic figures of the world is some anonymous tosspot nobody gives a damn about because they don't know who he is?

Think you answered your own question there.

The problem with Argentina, France and Spain is the fact that the countries are full of " friggin " foreigners who have to speak the English language which is the business language throughout the world and they don't like it. Hehehe.

Can you prove that :huh:

Are all the anti royals obsessed with money, how much of your / our money do you think you we should get back ?

Well ok then. Let us set the Royal family up as a charity and stop giving them our money who do not want them. In this way people who do not want royalty do not have to pay a penny and the ones that do can give to the charity. But first take all their wealth off them as I want my money back.

Archived