Spain snubs the Queen over Gibraltar. Are we bothered??

Well ok then. Let us set the Royal family up as a charity and stop giving them our money who do not want them. In this way people who do not want royalty do not have to pay a penny and the ones that do can give to the charity. But first take all their wealth off them as I want my money back.

Well if we could all pick and choose who and what recieved our taxes eh :D

Well if we could all pick and choose who and what recieved our taxes eh :D

As opposed to apathetically sitting back and accepting the inevitable just because it is you mean?

Please beg when I command you to...ok?

As opposed to apathetically sitting back and accepting the inevitable just because it is you mean?

Please beg when I command you to...ok?

He was explicit in what he said and I agree with him. If we working taxpayers could electively distribute our money it would be a much better country.

Call me thick if you like, but I wasn't really aware that Spain even had a Queen!....Come to think of it, I don't really care either!

Another little irrelevance which probably entered my head and got shredded with all of lifes' other little irrelevancies!

I'm not aware at all of what other countries have Kings and Queens, or even if any have them :hihi:

I've never heard of any other Royal families but our own as far as I know :|

WeX we agree on many things, on this we don't but healthy debate is all good. My respect for the selfless life HM Queen Elizabeth has led in the service of the nation aside, the big question for me is which PM's would you rather had as head of state? President Brown? President Major? President Blair God forfend.

Lets see if Charlie boy does the right thing and lets his lad have a crack at maintaining the monarchy as an apolitical institution which makes johny foreigner very nervous about pulling stunts against us too often.

A healthy debate is always good :D

I agree with your concerns, but I think having a head of state that actually leads the nation rather than one that's only duties is to open hospitals is my preference. I dare say my opinion would be different if the queen stood up for some basic value, but she appears to be just another mouthpiece for the government.

I would like to see the government (inc PM) elected separately to a president on alternate occasions too. This so that a government cannot get elected and then ignore their manifesto pledges and ride rough-shot over the nation for 5 years.

Currently the only way the electorate can show their displeasure with a sitting government is by switching their votes at local elections. But this does not really do anything to the elected MP's and for all their humble words and crocodile tears, they never heed the warning and just carry on as normal.

Well quite. Why when "The Queen" is mentioned anyone anywhere on the planet who doesn't have a Queen assumes they mean our Queen and those that do if it's not their Queen thinks it must be our Queen should we have a Queen, when we could have some grey chap in a suit who still needs all the diplomatic protection and costs in the end as much but rather than being one of the iconic figures of the world is some anonymous tosspot nobody gives a damn about because they don't know who he is?

Think you answered your own question there.

One man or woman and his or her family is nothing compared to the Royal household by way of cost to the tax payer.

• 1 month later...
Its embarrassing that we have a Monarch at all.

REPUBLIC NOW.

Why because you Republicans represent a majority of Britons? No. You are just a bunch of whiners wanting to get rid of the Monarchy, why? Would a President be any better? No he'd be politically motivated and no where near as respected as a King or Queen.

Republicans proved how popular they were on the Jubilee celebrations, weren't there about 200 swamped by many many thousands of well-wishers in London?

Republicans are the embarrassment.

Archived