Nepotism..square pegs and round holes.

I have worked for the same company now for quite some time. Each time a vacancy arose , it was advertised and people applied through the normal channels. The applicants were interviewed and their success or failure depended upon merit. Very fair and proper.

Then a vacancy arose in timely fashion and lets not beat about the bush. The "foreman" landed the vacancy for his son. I have nothing against him, but I do not feel that he would have got the position if daddy did not help him out. Suffice it to say that he is no superstar;). There is now another vacancy and another relative.

Here we go again! Square pegs in round holes! Fairness and competition through the window!

Different company same thick brown stuff!:mad:

the same thing happens at the company i work for. manager's sons, sons in law etc. land positions even though they have no experience and they soon climb the ladder into sought after jobs. one manager's son is so thick and useless you wonder how a man in his position managed to produce such a specimen!

the same thing happens at the company i work for. manager's sons, sons in law etc. land positions even though they have no experience and they soon climb the ladder into sought after jobs. one manager's son is so thick and useless you wonder how a man in his position managed to produce such a specimen!

Nepotism did not raise its ugly head at my present company until quite recently. Pas experience has taught me however that it leads to other people working harder to cover up for their incompetence.

No son or daughter worth their salt would go to work for mummy or daddy as they would not have to. I would feel that I was worthless if I had to rely on some relative to get me a job...and rightly so!

it does cause bad feeling when someone who's been there 5 minutes is promoted over an experienced person even though they are still learning and will have to be carried by others.

the manager of our design office got his son taken on as an apprentice last year even though the position wasn't advertised internally or otherwise. this lad knows he's virtually untouchable because of his dad and spends 4 hours working and the other 4 on his phone!

I once worked at a company where the Owner (the ol' man...semi retired) employed his son in the position of MD, his daughter as the company secretary, her husband as the factory manager, and his (the ol' man) nephew as the company accountant. It was a nightmare trying to get anything done or maybe have some kind of disagreement, as they always closed ranks and you could never 'win'. Nepotism gone mad it was!

I once worked at a company where the Owner (the ol' man...semi retired) employed his son in the position of MD, his daughter as the company secretary, her husband as the factory manager, and his (the ol' man) nephew as the company accountant. It was a nightmare trying to get anything done or maybe have some kind of disagreement, as they always closed ranks and you could never 'win'. Nepotism gone mad it was!

If we were all honest and owned our own companys, I think most of us would do the same for family members, wouldn't we.

Angel.

Is there a limit to the number of 'relatives' this guy is allowed to hire? If there isn't, there should be. What if he has a large family? :shocked:

If its a family owned/run business, fair enough, but if a manager of a branch of, say, B&Q was hiring all his family to work in the store then thats clearly not right.

Archived