The Euro (Currency)

British banknote printers, so good for us/exports ;)

Source (which is also useful -to an extent- for answering the OP's query, as a 'what if' scenario/extrapolation for Greece)

In any scenario, the UK/the £ should stay on top :thumbsup::D

Thats all i need to know (if its true) that is? :)

The USA is little different to Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_debt

If the map showed individual states in the USA like it showed individual states in Europe, then the mixed picture would be very similar indeed.

I could find you plenty of maps showing the states of America if I were to bother myself with the trouble of sending links, and much better ones than the gospel according to Wikipedia. But to what end? America is very different FROM Europe. If we sink we all sink together. The individual states have dominion on their finances to a degree,but are federally governed with a national income tax and armed services. When it comes to State income taxes, how a state taxes its people depends to a point what a neighboring state charges. Here in Connecticut we pay about ten cents more a gallon for petrol than Massachusetts next door, and a few cents less than New York. Mass is five miles away, NY a hundred. Guess who gets my money. Europe has not yet arrived as a federal unit, nor do I think they ever will. They have achieved a measure of peace within their borders, tentative at best. But the weakest are being forced into austerity they are finding very hard to live with. Take the case of Ireland. Until recently it was the darling of Europe, the Celtic tiger. Everybody wanted a house, and rightly so. The banks of the world were willing to lend mortgage money to anyone willing to sign for it. House values leapt for the skies, until the bubble burst. Now people are being foreclosed and the house values plummeting. In America you can legally walk away from a mortgage without penalty, leaving the lender with a house nobody wants or can afford. I don't think that is the case in most of Europe, with the borrower left to pay off as best he can. To be fair the Irish are handling the austerity measures much better than Greece, who are dragging the Euro into the ground. Now I ask a question. Would Ireland have been better staying with Sterling? Or should it try to rejoin?

What is your £1000 oz worth if the price falls back to what it was a couple of years ago? Where has that money "gone"?
Well, you seem convinced the money will be gone soon........so where do you think it will go?

I think you mean the Punt or Irish Pound?
I do, However it was always tied to Sterling no matter what you call it, and of course Northern Ireland still is. I have a long attachment with Ireland and hold a significant amount of Euros, so it is of primary importance to me.

I do, However it was always tied to Sterling no matter what you call it, and of course Northern Ireland still is. I have a long attachment with Ireland and hold a significant amount of Euros, so it is of primary importance to me.

It stopped being tied to Sterling in 1979.

My daughter is off to Greece next week and has been advised not to take a bankers card or travellers cheques but to take euro and sterling, preferably stirling.

In Oct 2010 I visited a village on Rhodes where I had holidayed for several years and always changed travellers cheques at different shops and travel agencies with no problem. No one would change them apart from the bank and they were charging extortionate rates.

Archived