The Euro (Currency)

Officially yes, but Britain was still its biggest trading partner, like it or not. It remains so.

We sell more to them than anyone else, we're actually quite away behind you these days in terms of people who buy from them. However major export and import partners are nothing to do with currency linkage which was what we were talking about, officially and actually irish punt currency linkage with Sterling ended in 79.

We sell more to them than anyone else, we're actually quite away behind you these days in terms of people who buy from them. However major export and import partners are nothing to do with currency linkage which was what we were talking about, officially and actually irish punt currency linkage with Sterling ended in 79.
In a global economy like ours, import and export have a great deal to do with currency linkage. Why is the Greek fiasco so troubling to the American economy? It is because we depend on doing business with a major currency

like the Euro, so when it falters and loses value so do we. I don't know if Ireland's better present relationship with the UK is troubling you, but its becoming time to look ahead not behind. I knew full well that the Sterling link was severed in 1979, but that didn't change the counter dependency that has continued.

Still not sure how it's going to affect the ordinary man in the street here though. Fewer jobs? Lower pensions? More inflation?

Anybody know?

No.

Or as Jeremy Clarkson writes in his newspaper column today:

"Of course, we like to think that behind the blustering politicians and the petrol bombs, each European state has a team of wise old eggheads with their fingers on the financial pulse. We see them as calm and with an IQ as high as the Queen’s neckline: Crystal balls with elbows and opposable thumbs. But I’m willing to bet that this weekend they’re all running about, waving their arms in the air with no more clue about what the future holds than my dog."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article4325871.ece

Archived