Working tax credits - what a joke !

Being self employed, and work dropping off, I put in a claim for WTC as we were only just managing to pay the bills etc (end of Nov 2011)

Gave them every single detail they asked for, then 2 months later, they wrote saying they wanted other details that they hadnt asked for in the first place.

Had to run around like an idiot, getting letters etc from the places that had employed me, and then sent them off.

In february, they tell me its been turned down, and to appeal.

I did this straight away, they then lost all my forms, so had to do it all again.

Finally heard today, that the person who was doing the appeal, wasnt authorised to do an appeal "this complicated" and so it now has to go to a tribunal.

When I asked them how long that would take, they said "no idea" :rant:

To top it all off, I was then told to put another claim in, and it may be accepted straight away :huh:

When I asked why, I was told that its down to the individual assesor whether they ok'd it or not - so therefore, my original claim COULD have been sorted out months ago if a different person had looked at it :rant:

I give up, life would be so much easier on the dole !

Tell me about it. They've overpaid us to the tune of £4000, first time I gave all correct info and they said your entitled to £x per week, a year later, same details and same amount tax credits, the year after, same details and...Oh, so your not on £3000 a year? That'll be £2500 you owe us for our mistake. Fast forward another 2 years and a new job then guess what, yep, you owe us another £1500 because we made a mistake again:loopy:

• 2 weeks later...

I completely sympathise with all of you regarding tax credits. We applied for working tax credit in 2010 and recieved a letter back quickly saying we were entiltled to £9.00 a week, £36.00 a month £423.00 for the year we claimed.

We were recieving it for 1 year when we recieved a very threatenig letter saying that we were no longer entitled we had been overpaid and we owed them £423. My partner said that the questions they ask you on the form are confusing and it is as if they want to catch you out, because he said the questions should have said what your estimated wage is for the next year, not what the question was which was what is your annual wage if that makes sense.

I then rang up and luckily got through as sometimes you can be on hold forever, the girl I had spoken to had a bad attitude and could not care less that I was distressed and angry. I asked her why did we owe them £423 she was adament we had deliberately filled out the form wrong and it was our fault.

I asked her why details could not just be removed from the system as we were not entitled anyway she then said her exact words it was not possible as everyone has threashold that they have to live by, I then said but we are not entitled so the threashold does not apply to us I then sent a letter of complaint about her as her attitude was appauling and I was not happy at being sent threatening letters DEMANDING THAT WE PAY.

A person I had spoken to next after they recieved my letter said that the girl had done nothing wrong and her customer service was excellent deluded and this was a manager HMRC need to re train their staff and look up the word CUSTOMER SERVICE in the dictionary as you are right with the title working tax credit what a joke my point as well exactly.

I recently have written another letter of complaint as they had the cheek to send us a cash survey in the post regarding customer service and we keep getting correspondance through the post regarding working tax credit despite not having claimed since 2010, Preston recieved another very colourfully languaged letter of complaint from me they must be sick of recieving complaint letters from me so far I have not recieved a reply perhaps they will say they lost my address lol this would not suprise me a bunch of Chimpanzees at a Zoo could do a better job than the HMRC its just outrageous I am getting stressed just reading all these other peoples posts all I can say is I am so sorry like me you have had to have dealings with the crettins at this dispicable organisation. :)

Tell me about it. They've overpaid us to the tune of £4000, first time I gave all correct info and they said your entitled to £x per week, a year later, same details and same amount tax credits, the year after, same details and...Oh, so your not on £3000 a year? That'll be £2500 you owe us for our mistake. Fast forward another 2 years and a new job then guess what, yep, you owe us another £1500 because we made a mistake again:loopy:

Thats because they pay you for the previous year, if you were earning much less last year than you are now, they pay you based on what you earn the previous year, and you get WTC based on this years wages, next year, when you may be earning less, but will be entitled to a lower WTC rate anyway. Its a bit silly to be honest, they even say on the letters "If we continue to pay X amount, we will overpay you by X amount this year"

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha ha ha yes ok then I hope so I hope the system is changed for the better to make it fairer for everyone as I think at the moment the benefits system on a whole is not, the tax system is a very complicated trap that sucks you in and then they spit you back out again.

The forms you are made to fill in are very misleading and the HMRC make out they want to help people with all this money they dish out to everyone at the beginning of every year. They don`t keep checks on everyone, how do we know that what they are saying is an amount you are entitled to is correct?? you don`t and never will, they tell you can have x amount a month and then when they have made a complete mess of their books at the end of the tax year they demand it back to balance their books out. They do this to try to make themselves look good, the whole system is nothing more than a glorified joke and they have no intentions of really helping anyone. When they demand money back with menaces and frighten people who genuinely needed help, yet I know people who don`t really need the help and are apparently entitled they are throwing money at them, they have not had demand letters to pay any money back, it just baffles me and I will never understand the Government or their stupid system. :)

I completely sympathise with all of you regarding tax credits. We applied for working tax credit in 2010 and recieved a letter back quickly saying we were entiltled to £9.00 a month.

We were recieving it for 1 year when we recieved a very threatenig letter saying that we were no longer entitled we had been overpaid and we owed them £400. My partner said that the questions they ask you on the form are confusing and it is as if they want to catch you out, because he said the questions should have said what your estimated wage is for the next year, not what the question was which was what is your annual wage if that makes sense.

I then rang up and luckily got through as sometimes you can be on hold forever, the girl I had spoken to had a bad attitude and could not care less that I was distressed and angry. I asked her why did we owe them £400 she was adament we had deliberately filled out the form wrong and it was our fault.

I asked her why details could not just be removed from the system as we were not entitled anyway she then said her exact words it was not possible as everyone has threashold that they have to live by, I then said but we are not entitled so the threashold does not apply to us I then sent a letter of complaint about her as her attitude was appauling and I was not happy at being sent threatening letters DEMANDING THAT WE PAY.

A person I had spoken to next after they recieved my letter said that the girl had done nothing wrong and her customer service was excellent deluded and this was a manager HMRC need to re train their staff and look up the word CUSTOMER SERVICE in the dictionary as you are right with the title working tax credit what a joke my point as well exactly.

I recently have written another letter of complaint as they had the cheek to send us a cash survey in the post regarding customer service and we keep getting correspondance through the post regarding working tax credit despite not having claimed since 2010, Preston recieved another very colourfully languaged letter of complaint from me they must be sick of recieving complaint letters from me so far I have not recieved a reply perhaps they will say they lost my address lol this would not suprise me a bunch of Chimpanzees at a Zoo could do a better job than the HMRC its just outrageous I am getting stressed just reading all these other peoples posts all I can say is I am so sorry like me you have had to have dealings with the crettins at this dispicable organisation. :)

you claimed £9 for a year ???, 12 x £9 = £108

yet they say you owe £400 ??? where did the other £292 come from ???

@BigSexyDoug we claimed £9.00 a week for 1 year, sorry I said it was a month I got it wrong. When you said that amount then, I had to think about as I thought it did not sound right.

£9.00 a week x4 for the month = £36.00 x 12 for the year = £432.00 sorry again I did not mean to confuse things. :);)

Archived