Is there any wonder some of our young don’t want to work.

To get solar going again the DECC needs to sort out the confusion over feed-in tariffs and establish a long term policy.

Germany installed 3GW of solar generating capacity in December last year, almost 8GW over the course of 2011.

My maths could be wrong but that is the equivalent of 6-7 modern nuclear plants at full capacity.

Germany has solar generating capacity of 22GW, or approx 20 nuclear power stations. On the weekend just gone they set a new record, supplying 50% of Germany's mid-day electricity needs through solar.

It shows what is possible. The thing is in the UK there's no point if the government is trying to deliberately kill off the industry.

What's the point of it though, presumably the electricity load in Germany is similar to the UK, in that the peak load is in the winter in the evening when it's dark.

Which means that they still need traditional supply to cover that load as the solar arrays are doing nothing when the most power is needed.

What's the point of it though, presumably the electricity load in Germany is similar to the UK, in that the peak load is in the winter in the evening when it's dark.

Which means that they still need traditional supply to cover that load as the solar arrays are doing nothing when the most power is needed.

Nobody is ever going to claim renewables alone are the answer. Other generating capacity is needed. But if they can generate at these levels good luck to them. Expensive now for sure but 15 years down the line they'll be laughing at how far behind we are.

Solar energy can be stored using Pumped Hydro Energy Storage, I would imagine Germany will have some storage capacity.

I just had an idea,:o if the unemployed aren’t capable of building solar panels what about them actually generating the electricity using Bicycle Generator Pedal Power Station.:)

I just had an idea,:o if the unemployed aren’t capable of building solar panels what about them actually generating the electricity using Bicycle Generator Pedal Power Station.:)

They could do an hour when they sign on and power the Jobcentres I guess. :|

Solar energy can be stored using Pumped Hydro Energy Storage, I would imagine Germany will have some storage capacity.

Won't happen.

Slavery was abolished over 100 years ago.

Do you see?

I remember when having a job gave you a sense of pride. When I was 15 I got a Saturday job at the Parkway Market working from 5 am til 1, then I would work at Stan,s grocery store at the end of Staniforth road selling flowers. I earned about 12 quid and I was king amongst my mates.

I then left school and worked at Sargeant fruit and veg shop at the Manor Top prior to joining the Army.

Every job I have had, no matter what that job was I have been proud to have been working and a productive member of our society.

I remember when having a job gave you a sense of pride. When I was 15 I got a Saturday job at the Parkway Market working from 5 am til 1, then I would work at Stan,s grocery store at the end of Staniforth road selling flowers. I earned about 12 quid and I was king amongst my mates.

I then left school and worked at Sargeant fruit and veg shop at the Manor Top prior to joining the Army.

Every job I have had, no matter what that job was I have been proud to have been working and a productive member of our society.

Just the one job, I did a paper round on Friday evening, delivered milk Saturday morning and put a few hours a week in helping at the garden centre, during the summer holidays I picked peas and turnips, and I have to say I enjoyed doing all of them.

Archived